Finally bit the bullet and bought some killer heads.

fiveo'cobra

Oct 7, 2004
SC
Some of you may know my car's history in the past half year or so, but its been through alot. I'm on my fourth set of heads because i keep running into deals that i can't refuse, but this is my last one for a while:p .

I got rid of my stock heads about half a year ago for some ported/polished/worked GT40 irons and then just sold those while i threw on some GT40X heads. Ran the car with those and i wasn't suprised that it didn't pull much harder than with the worked iron heads so lately i've been on the prowl for something nice. Had my eye set on some performers and some TW's, but then i found these on ebay and couldn't refuse:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canf...058080775QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem :hail2:

These are pushing the limits of a 302ci motor, but i talked to a tech guy at canfield and he said i shouldn't be lagging in power as long as i had a good flowing intake and supporting hardware for them. At least if i decide to boost or up displacement in the future i won't have to switch heads.

I did a little calculation and if i had bought these straight from Canfield in stock form instead with all the aftermarket stuff listed and had the port work done after, i would have spent nearly $2800 for these. :eek:

Car should be fun this time around. Will deff. post pics and vids later on.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have aftermarket pistons? You will need them with their 2.02" valve and it appears they have been milled. If you plan to put a blower on it down the road you will need a set of dished pistons as your compression is going to be fairly high with a 54cc chamber.

$1200 for heads that need a valve job? Where in-lies the good deal? You don't even know what springs those are. I don't see these performing that much better than a quality CNC ported head that would run $1200. And you hope that those valves are still the right size after the valve job.

well, dont be surprised if the car is unimpressive to you with those heads. i had a set of ported tw heads on mine (which have the same valve sizes) with a tfs stage 1 cam and gt40 intake (all exhaust and fuel mods as well). the car didnt start to pull until around 3k. it had nothing down low. without bumping up the cubes or adding a power adder, you will almost certainly not be happy with the cars performance. that is simply way too much head for a stock bottom n/a 302. keep us updated though. since every combo is different and the flow numbers between the heads i had and those canfields are certainly different, i very well may be wrong.

Killercanary said:
Do you have aftermarket pistons? You will need them with their 2.02" valve and it appears they have been milled. If you plan to put a blower on it down the road you will need a set of dished pistons as your compression is going to be fairly high with a 54cc chamber.

The X heads i ran had 2.02 intake valves and i was running 1.7's with my E-cam on their 55cc chambers no problems. I'm not planning on going boosted anytime in the near future. If there is some sort of clearance problem, i'll probably just switch to 1.6's and get a bigger cam.

Zero Signal said:
$1200 for heads that need a valve job? Where in-lies the good deal? You don't even know what springs those are. I don't see these performing that much better than a quality CNC ported head that would run $1200. And you hope that those valves are still the right size after the valve job.

Go buy a brand new set of canfields, ferrera valves, .600 lift springs (Yes i know what they are i asked for their part number), and then have them ported by Nightmare. If you have some connections you might be able to get it all for less than $2000. Valve jobs are no mountain to climb. I get mine done for $100 at PAR racing. And i have no idea what your last sentence means. Valves aren't going anywhere.

Edit*--- i have a ported cobra lower and extrude honed upper.

fiveo'cobra said:
The X heads i ran had 2.02 intake valves and i was running 1.7's with my E-cam on their 55cc chambers no problems. I'm not planning on going boosted anytime in the near future. If there is some sort of clearance problem, i'll probably just switch to 1.6's and get a bigger cam.
did you have the x heads worked? my gt40x's were 54cc, 1.94, 1.54.

Green 94 5.0 said:
did you have the x heads worked? my gt40x's were 54cc, 1.94, 1.54.

Yup the X heads had mildly ported exhaust outlets, 2.02's, and 1.6's. Also had some Trickflow springs on them. Nice heads, but just didn't have the umph i expected. They pulled a bit harder than the worked irons i had on the car before that with 1.94's.

good luck, looks sweet. if i had to do over i would have bought some worked vic jrs right from the get go.

i have heard from several engine guys that they can go with a tf stage2 cam with 2.02 on a stock shortblock and maintain p/v clearance. gonna need to check to be safe though as the valve spacing will prolly be different than those x heads. check out chp for a shaft rocker setup. then get a dart block, cog drive blower, fuel system, viper spec T56, cage, built rear....