Finally bought my t5.

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey guys i just got a t5 for $100 for my future g-force upgrade. It came out of a 1983 SVO 5.0 Mustang and is in good condition. I have been trying to get the thing open but can't this is where i need help. I took off the shifter and opened up the top of the case, but there is a long metal rod that goes from the shifter through the top of the case how do i go about opening this thing up?

• Sponsors (?)

Buy a service manual or T-5 videotape from one of the comapnies specializing in the T-5 repair/rebuild kits - it's inexpensive and well worth it.

SVO, huh? You sure that's a V-8 specification T-5? All the SVO cars were turbo four-cylinders. The case tag should give the identification data.

Loup-garou said:
Buy a service manual or T-5 videotape from one of the comapnies specializing in the T-5 repair/rebuild kits - it's inexpensive and well worth it.

SVO, huh? You sure that's a V-8 specification T-5? All the SVO cars were turbo four-cylinders. The case tag should give the identification data.

ford didn't start building the svo until '84

A 4 cyl transmission will require a smaller pilot bearing, the input shaft length is the same. The conversion bearing is about 15 dollars. The only issue with using a 4 cyl tranny is they are only rated for 265 torque and a stock 289 is close to that. They are weaker but I've heard of a bunch of cars with them and I know of one that's lasted 2 years so far. I won't run the car at the track or anything but a weekend cruiser could get away with it.

Luminox said:
A 4 cyl transmission will require a smaller pilot bearing, the input shaft length is the same. The conversion bearing is about 15 dollars. The only issue with using a 4 cyl tranny is they are only rated for 265 torque and a stock 289 is close to that. They are weaker but I've heard of a bunch of cars with them and I know of one that's lasted 2 years so far. I won't run the car at the track or anything but a weekend cruiser could get away with it.
With the g-force upgrade kit, he should be able to beat the crap outta the tranny. Pretty much everything internal is replaced. You just need a good doner tranny.

T5 Info.

You just drive the pin all of the way down. You can retrieve it after the shift block comes out. I have a question or statement. If it is an 84 model it is a Non World Class T5. The g-force upgrade will not work different bearing setup. If there is a large bolt on the drivers side near the top it should be a NWC unit. If it is a beveled head with a torx center it should be a World Class Unit. Both parts are interchangeable though.

Make sure the transmission is in neutral before you try to drive that roll pin out! If you don't, you'll get the roll pin stuck.

I'd definetly recommend getting a rebuilding video from Bob Hanlon. http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com if I recall correctly.

Here's a couple of links that may help. http://www.stangcrazy.com/tech/techarticles/t5rebuild.htm
http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf

Those above links are almost alike, but there are some differences.

You can also download a manual from Tremec's website in pdf format as well.

Edit: Yeah, if it's originally an '84 model, then it's not a world class T5. I was in a hurry to post to make sure you didn't get your roll pin stuck!

Luminox said:

I have a 4 cylinder t-5 in my 1990 5.0 daily driver stang. Its been coupled to the v8 for 10,000 miles and god knows how many miles are on the transmission. Its done fine for me, I've even gotten away with powershifting it a few times. The engine and transmission are going to be in my 64 soon thanks to a camaro driver creaming me. I plan on using the 4 banger trans until it dies and them upgrading to a v8 t-5