Finally broke down and took it to the track

Bullitt5339

Jun 19, 2009
Finally broke down and took the Bullitt to the track tonight, expecting less than stellar results.

The Good things going for me:

Tunable Induction MAF forward
UPR OffRoad X
SCT X3 with mail order tune
Megabite SRs
Decent Weather

The bad things against me:

Vogtland Lowering springs
Sumitomo HTR-Z tires, bald at that
Full weight with spare tire, even had my golf clubs in the trunk.......lol

Wasn't planning on going to the track tonight, but we decided at the last minute to have our club meeting at the track, so I decided to run a couple times down the track while I was there, no expecting much.

Here's the damage:

[email protected] with a 2.2 60ft time.

I really had trouble getting the car to launch. The 1st run I spun really bad, the Sumitomo's really don't hook at all, even with the Megabites. Another Mustang guy with Sumitomos was amazed that I could manage a 2.2 with them. The 2nd run I bogged really bad trying to take it easy off the line. The 3rd run I got off decent with just a tiny bit of spin out of the hole at like 2000 rpms, but then spun hard on 2nd gear and even a little on the 3rd gear change.

• Sponsors (?)

sumitomos seem like a 50/50 shot when it comes to quality. I've heard of a lot of people that can cut some 2.1s and 2.2s with them and love them and personally mine make my first gear useless and I hate them. :shrug: I'll be going back to kdws after these for sure though.

I cut a 1.885 on my Sumitomos at Beaver Springs Dragway in central PA. I actually found, contrary to what squeak93 posted above me, that getting them hot just makes them greasy and difficult to launch. All I did for that run was drive around the water and scuff them off. I didn't change the tire pressure from my usual 34psi front / 32psi rear. I stalled it up just a tiny bit (around 1k rpm), launched, and rolled onto the throttle as I accelerated away from the line. I was able to get the throttle all the way down just as I was entering second gear, and there was very little wheelspin with this technique.

Then again, I have a supercharged automatic with 3.73s, so it's a good setup for launching and cutting good 60' times.

I had to get mine hot as hell (I know, very uncommon for a street tire) but with 4.30 gears in an 04 gt (ran 13.71 ish, when most new edges with more mods ran 14.0's.). I was able to floor it in first just after rolling out of the box with the clutch fully engaged. Second-fourth I was able to power shift with little tire spin. On a good prepped track (1000 ft high) with great air.

That was with Hrtz1's.... the II's and III's are a bit different compound than the original and I've not seen as good of luck with them. Oddly enough my nitto drag radials only get me low 1.8's while my sumis got 1.95's very regularly.