Finally decided on wheels

I went back and forth with this for a long time, finally pulled the trigger. 17x8/17x9 Pony R with 245/275 rubber. Quite happy with how she turned out!
F9687972-8E56-4ADE-9776-CBFEB1AE4D16.jpeg
992D6D51-DFF1-4BA5-AF1D-31813A2536B3.jpeg

Reactions: 12 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The fenders are different. In 91 they opened up the front wheel opening a little because they introduced the 16" pony rims. It's not huge, but it is a little bigger. On both of my 1990 convertibles I run 245/45/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear. I don't have any rubbing issues except MAYBE at full lock turn if going over an incline just a slight rub of the inner fender.

Chris

Rdub6, I've attached a couple of photos below. Other than the wheels,
IMG_8735.jpg
IMG_8734.jpg

the warmed-up 5.0 and new clutch, most of my '86 is original, including the lousy original Ford paint. Once I'm satisfied with all the mechanical work, I'll look into getting a paint job.

IMG_8735.jpg
IMG_8734.jpg

Looks nice! Don’t worry, that “patina” look is the in thing nowadays.
What drop did those springs claim to be? My ‘86 is like a 4x4. Nice to compare apples to apples (as much as it can be)

I have always said in my opinion the right wheels and stance far outweigh the paint. I would rather drive around a primered mustang with killer rims and lowering springs than a car with shiny paint with stock 10 holes and a 4x4 look. @Willybill32 your car looks great!

Chris

Looks nice! Don’t worry, that “patina” look is the in thing nowadays.
What drop did those springs claim to be? My ‘86 is like a 4x4. Nice to compare apples to apples (as much as it can be)
Rdub6, I did the suspension upgrade in 2011, including upgrading to a '87-'93 front suspension for the larger discs, SSBC rear disc conversion kit, new flexible SS steel brake lines, new springs and struts/shocks on all four wheels. The springs were from FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) and I believe they called for a 1-1.5" drop. I just checked the FRPP catalog and found these that I think are what I used. The description says '79-'84, but if you look, you'll see they fit an '86' .

Reactions: 1 user
I have always said in my opinion the right wheels and stance far outweigh the paint. I would rather drive around a primered mustang with killer rims and lowering springs than a car with shiny paint with stock 10 holes and a 4x4 look. @Willybill32 your car looks great!

Chris
Thanks, Chris! I appreciate your favorable comment.

I purchased this car new, Sept. 30, 1986 and used it for a daily driver for 13 years. Most of the time since then it's been garaged. I redid the suspension in 2011, then in the last year or so went through the engine (TF aluminum heads, E303 cam, Comp Cams steel roller rockers, BBK fuel rails, 24lb. injectors, Bassani shorty headers, etc.) and now I've added a new '85 Lincoln Town Car master cylinder, etc. It's coming together, but not there yet. Once everything is OK mechanically it will get a shiny paint job and freshened interior.

Reactions: 1 users

Chris

my car definitely resembles that remark! Someday down the road she’ll be sittin right!!

Reactions: 1 user