Finally decided to install new suspension, using lift but still need help

I have a buddy who's brother in law has a lift and is willing to let me borrow it for a couple of hours. Now I'm asking you all to give me tips on installing the whold suspension so i don't take longer than needed and he starts bitching about it. I will be doing springs, shocks, struts, cc plates, and upper and lower control arms. they've been sittin under my be for some time now and really need to get them on. I saw HPTV once where they did a swap and it seem TOOOOOOO easy. Do i need a spring compressor, or how can i take the springs off without running for my life. CC are pretty tricky to install, what's up with those? I already lifted it once just to check it out and the arms seem pretty simple so i'm really more concerned with items mentioned above.
Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

Springs come out pretty easy undo the sway bar infront loosen up the top nut on the strut and lower the a arm and stand clear just in case. i had my car on stands and used my 3ton jack to let the arms down nice and easy. in the rear undo the quad shock as it will not let the axle drop enough to get the spring out also you may have to push on one end of the axle to get the spring out. As for the CC plates I dont know they where in when I bought the car. maybe somebody else can help with that. Definetly have somebody there to help IMO its not a one man job.

so your saying to switch out the springs close to the floor to lower them with a jack. then just undo the shock and strut bolts, bolt up the new ones and replace springs using the jack. but i have to switch out the arms before reinstalling the springs and shocks. am i on the right track??

Yep lets see once the car is on stands and the wheels are off. put the jack under the a arm put it to what it would be fully weighted this will help get some of the nuts undone. pull the caliper off, undo sway bar links, pull the abs line out of slots in inner fender you'll need to to get the max flex to get the spring out. loosen or undo that nut on top of the strut should take a big slotted screw driver and open end box end wrench if I remember correctly, then break those big bastards loose on the lower end of the strut you'll need either a breaker bar or have to beat on a wrench with a hammer or have access to heavy duty air tools those bolts are really tough to get off. you should then be able to pull the strut out then start lowering the a arm the spring is going to push real hard on the jack so release the jack as slow as possible after its down you still may need to push a little farther by hand/foot to get room for the spring to come out. Oh yeah make sure you line the spring up in the a arm cup you will see a dent for where the begining of the spring is supposed to sit I didn't pay attention to this and had to redo it cuz the car wouldn't sit right. and do the reverse for install. For the rear it was easier I don't believe you even have to take the calipers off just undo the quad shock and the normal shock the normal shock will hit max downward travel B4 the spring is close to coming out plus you'll have to have a friend push a little by foot on the end of the axle to get that xtra flex to get the spring out. no for the procedure on the rear control arms i'm not sure. lets see if someone else has the answer if you dont already. hope this helps you out. sorry so longwinded it's a slow day at work.

slytherin said:
sorry so longwinded it's a slow day at work.

No problem, the more detailed you make it the better. you seem the only one to be helping me and i really appreciate it. i also bought the offsets, this might sound stupid but where do those go. as for the control arms, when i was under the car i saw that is was just a couple of nuts and bolts. didn't seem too difficult. thanks for all your help

Damn I cant find any info on them, I dont have those on my car, I believe they are to help compensate for bump steer. Ahh found a pic of them I definetly dont have em and dont know what to do with em. I haven't looked yet but you might be able to find some info on muscularmustangs.com I got some good info for my new TB install and setting it on their website. If I find anything I'll let you know. Found it www.lx.net/jlynch/bushings.htm good info/good pics. I may need to get some now that I know what there for LOL.

thanx dawg, sounds like i had your working :hail2: i really appreciate it. they aren't really expensive, around $20 from mustangwarehouse.com. so reviewin your posts, the lift is pretty useless. i was thinking of lifting the car and loosening all of the nuts, but will that be harder since the spring won't be pushed in??

Yes chain the spring down...Also, its just as easy to do at home as on a lift. Really all you need is a jack and 2 jack stands. But ideally you should use four. I f you can borrow some from someone that would be better for you.