Finally got a mustang and have some q's

dave_id

Jun 2, 2006
Ok I got a 2000 Mustang GT 5spd
mods:
Intake (didn't look at what brand)
Magnapacks
3.55 gears

And I have a couple of questions about it.

1. The guy who sold it to me traded hoods with a friend, a 2004 hood so it has a hood scoop. However when closing the hood there isn't a ring thing for the latch to lock onto. Instead there's this square piece where the bigger latch locks on to, you can just pull the hood up by hand and open it up.
How do I go about fixing this?

2. I have this video here of the engine making some noise. I want to know if any of those were natural noises and if not are they hurting the car?
i hope it works: http://media.putfile.com/Mustang-73

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Dunno about the hood, but the engine noises are a little funky.

The first noise you really notice sounds like an exhaust leak. Did the previous owner change the midpipe out for an aftermarket one? If so you might need a new flange gasket for the exhaust manifold... I just went through that the other day swapping my midpipe.

Other noise doesnt sound healthy. Hard to tell if its something internal or an accessory rattling around. Does it sound like its on top, or deep in the engine? How many miles are on the car?

To solve #1... key locking hood pins would do the trick :) or go buy a 2004 Hood Latch and install that. Then the hood should lock down

#2, read up on how to run Sea-Foam (like $7 at Autozone) through your intake. You will see the smoke leakign out of ur exhaust if you have an exhaust leak, otherwise it will be ONLY coming out of your tailpipes...like its supposed to. Its a good leak-detector. Or use a smoke-machine if you have one by random chance

sounds like a vacume leak in the second vid, sounds like a timing issue in the first vid... shrug, get a can of carb cleaner and lightly mist around tyhe entire intake line while the engine is on... if the RPMs spike when spraying in a certain area, you have an intake leak... fix it... this will cause a howling sound some times/whistling sound.

seafoam is great, always a good choice, but doe sn't fix everything. i do it once a month. how about a clip from inside the car? i think you are getting too much reverb to correctly diagnose. just too many other sounds preventing a good sense.

Torinalth

dave_id said:
I'll get a new clip from cabin when I get home.

Anyways about the hood, are the 2000 and 2004 latches really different?

Honestly, no i would imagine they are exaclty the same...however since u said there was a problem latching (which mustangs are notirious for) perhaps you might want to check and see if there actually is a difference between the too. You kinda made it sound like it was broken, so i recommended getting a new one anyway :shrug:

I would get hood pins though to be on the safe side....dont want that hood flying up at 60+ mph

Does your hood latch look like this??

Grill.jpg

For the hood........

I don't think it's locked. Try droping the hood a good 8-12 inches. When locked you shouldn't be able to free the lock. Also make sure the latch is lined up to lock properly.

I think that the hood is fine....just one of the situations above is happening.

I've tried to drop the hood about 18 inches. The hood will close but it definitely isnt locking. Ive tried to force it, press it hard, etc. I even lifted the latch, closed the hood, let it "lock".

Ok I've pinpointed the noise, I guess.
My camera's mic sucks. When I went in the interior you hear nothing, not even the exhaust. And in the engine bay it sounds like there's a bunch of noises but their's really not that much, it is probably picking up all the injectors and belts, etc.

But here is the exhaust on the pass side, if you listen closely it sounds like somebody is tapping on the camera, that is actually the exhaust in a deep note. but on the other side it doesnt do that. So i went to the engine and revved it up a little and the tap noise is on the pass side , sounds like it is behind the engine.
So I guess it's an exhaust leak? misfire? I don't know.
Driver side exhaust: http://media.putfile.com/MOV04916-64
Pass side exhaust: http://media.putfile.com/MOV04917

And then here's the engine bay. The sound that you will hear in the vid, I can only hear it if I punch the gas a little bit. If I gradually let the rpms increase I cant hear it, just like in the video. In the beginning I slowly bring the rpms up and you can barely notice it, but if I give it more gas you can hear it distinctively.
http://media.putfile.com/MOV04917

Thank you everybody for your input