FINALLY got a Mustang, now need some maintenance tips.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Now I guess I can end my "What do you guys think about this one" threads, haha.

Picked up a 2000 GT 5 speed.

Cooling system was just flushed, brakes have just been done, but I think thats about it.

It has 90k on it, and about another 1k till the oil needs to be changed, but ill probaly do that soon anyway.

So if im not mistaken, it takes 5 quarts of oil correct? Any special filter or is anything but a Fram good? And... the guy said he wasnt using synthetic oil, but I would like to switch it over to Mobil 1 synthetic. Do you think 90k is too high to make the switch? And it takes 5w30 weight oil, correct?

The car is clean overall, just minor clear coat peeling in a certain area, but nothing big.

Engine is pretty much stock, just a FIPK and catback exhaust... It has alot of power to me though, im coming from a lifted 4x4 with 190 hp, haha.

Anyone have any suggestions if the mod bug happens to bite me? Im thinking offroad X pipe with Magnapacks to start, then possibly a short throw shifter, and gears... I dont know, probaly wont do much right now it put a nice dent in the wallet.

Thanks for the help guys..:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys, ive been on here a while, just no Mustang.

I probaly wont spend too much for mods right off the bat. I want to get used to the car for a while and make sure its gonna hold up and everything... But if I run across a good deal ill probaly buy a go fast part or two.

As far as oil... 6 qt? Im not doubting by any means, but the factory booklet said 5 quarts for the 3.8 and 4.6, but if it drinks 6 then thats what ill feed it. I dont need to blow any engines, haha.

Anyone have any insight as for switching it to synthetic?

Get the Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w20, and a Motorcraft filter. That's the only stuff that will touch my car. Also, mine takes 5 quarts...

Check a few things over on the car, like the tightness of all of your spark plugs, and the torque boxes in the back. See if all of the paint matches, and look for any repair tape, or signs of an accident repair. Also, you might as well just replace the IAC now, if it looks old :)
Congrats on the new stang, tho! PICS!

Shiroelex said:
Get the Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w20, and a Motorcraft filter. That's the only stuff that will touch my car. Also, mine takes 5 quarts...

Check a few things over on the car, like the tightness of all of your spark plugs, and the torque boxes in the back. See if all of the paint matches, and look for any repair tape, or signs of an accident repair. Also, you might as well just replace the IAC now, if it looks old :)
Congrats on the new stang, tho! PICS!

Im guessing Motorcraft is only available at the Ford dealer?

And... how tight are the plugs spose to be? Im aware of the problem some 4.6's have of puking them out and stripping the threads, but im not sure how tight is too tight.

Paint matches, no signs of a wreck, body is straight, not a single dent... just that damn chipping clear coat in one spot, but again... not gonna sweat it.

And what are the tourqe boxes, and where are they?

http://bullittarchive.com/1000.htm

change your air filter, tranny fluid, serpentine belt, fuel filter, maybe spark plugs, diff fluid, and inspect your hoses.

The oil filter is avail again at WalMart :nice:. I bought 2 from Ford last month for $7 a piece, and went to WalMart this past Sunday and lucky me, they're ~$3 a pop!

I heard switching to synthetic after so many miles isn't good for your car. It's going to cause your seals to leak or something. Wait until someone more knowledgeable than me replies.

BurningRubber said:
So if im not mistaken, it takes 5 quarts of oil correct? Any special filter or is anything but a Fram good? And... the guy said he wasnt using synthetic oil, but I would like to switch it over to Mobil 1 synthetic. Do you think 90k is too high to make the switch? And it takes 5w30 weight oil, correct?

Anyone have any suggestions if the mod bug happens to bite me? Im thinking offroad X pipe with Magnapacks to start, then possibly a short throw shifter, and gears... I dont know, probaly wont do much right now it put a nice dent in the wallet.

Thanks for the help guys..:SNSign:

Yes your car takes 5 quarts (with a new filter). Don't EVER use Fram, they make sh1t products. You can buy a Motorcraft filter from Walmart for under 3 dollars. It's NEVER too late to switch to synthetic ;) . You can use 5w-20 or 5w-30. 5w-30 might be better for the summer (hotter outside + thicker oil).

A lot of people get the gears first. You will definetely feel them :nice:

the98stang said:
Yes your car takes 5 quarts (with a new filter). Don't EVER use Fram, they make sh1t products. You can buy a Motorcraft filter from Walmart for under 3 dollars. It's NEVER too late to switch to synthetic ;) . You can use 5w-20 or 5w-30. 5w-30 might be better for the summer (hotter outside + thicker oil).

A lot of people get the gears first. You will definetely feel them :nice:

Thank you a ton man. I went out and checked the oil this morning, and its halfway between full and add, and its dark brown so im going to change it today. Im gonna switch to Mobil Synthetic, and I know to stay clear from Fram filters... Same hype about Fram was in the Jeep world (where im coming from) also.

Is it completely nececerry to use the Motorcraft filter? I usually get my stuff from Advanced Auto, and I know they dont stock them. How bout a K&N oil filter?

And for the rest of the stuff... Coolant was just done, the belt is fine on it, no idea about the plugs, and Im gonna take a look at the rear diff fluid.

Only other question for now is how do I check the fluid level on the manual tranny? Im used to automatics, so guide me here... and also what does it take? The manual said Dexron-ATF..? Does anything else do a better job?

Ended up getting 5w30 synthetic Motorcraft oil, and a Purolator filter. I run the Purolator on my Jeep also. If its a bad filter let me know, only other choice they had was Fram.

Purolators are nice substitutes to Motorcraft. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

Did you get the PureOne?

For the manual trans fluid, you have to get under the car, unplug the fill hole and use your own dipstick to check the level. I would use some sort of synthetic MERCON/DEXRON ATF for the trans.

No it wasnt the Pure-1 filter. I think it was like 15 bucks or something insane like that... I might be wrong, but its just a regular Purolator. Oil will be changed every 3k though.

Welcome to the board, drive it like you stole it! :nice:

First thing I would recommend is a complete, extreme detail inside and out.

BTW, asking about preventitive maintenance as soon as you get your Mustang, that's awesome :flag:

Kilgore Trout said:
BTW, asking about preventitive maintenance as soon as you get your Mustang, that's awesome :flag:

Thanks man... I like to take very good mechanical care of my vehicles.

Allready washed it, cleaned the interior, changed the oil...

Guess trans fluid is next, and ill check the diff and see if its nasty or not. Is the drain/fill plug on the rear of the housing, or on the diff. cover itself? I havnt looked yet, but I thought I remembered seeing a pic of it being on the back of the housing near the DS or there abouts.

Good news though, the trac-lock isnt worn out..:lol: Ive been leaving two fat tracks at random stopsigns throughout the day...:D

the Advanced Auto where I live is where I get my Motorcraft filter. You can get Motorcraft oil almost anywhere too, not just ford. However, I havent seen any Full Synthetic, only Motorcraft Blend in any auto parts store around here.

Filter P/N is FL-820S, they should* have it in stock.

Preventive Maintenance Tips:
- Find out when the last time a tune up was done.
- If the car didn't have a tune up within the last 30k miles, i would recommend changing the following:
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires
- Fuel Filter [change this every 20k]
- Air Filter
- PCV Valve (if its needed)
- New Windshield Wiper Blades
- Oil Change (I always recommend full synthetic oil, but its a good idea to NOT go back to regular oil once you use synthetic. And synthetic oil changes are around $50, FYI)
- Check all 4 tires and wear

For Motor Oil, i use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ($6 a quart x 6 quarts the GT takes) in either 5w-30 or 5w-20 (which is recommended by ford). I also use a Mobil 1 Oil Filter which runs me like $15-20, part number M1-210. Just to BUY the oil and filter it costs me $50, and i do the oil change myself of course every 3,000 miles. You can use full synthetic oil up to 5,000 without an oil change...but im a freak and i like to keep my motor EXTRA clean :)

I also would look into the last time your transmission had its oil changed. If it never has....i might recommend leaving it, because changing it might free up some junk in there and you actually might damage the trans. Otherwise i would advise changing the transmission oil as well.

Also, i would advise getting a new battery if that car hasn't gotten one within the last few years. There is a procedure you have to do when changing out the battery kind of.

Hope that helps. I personally keep a log book of everything i do to my car and what the date and mileage is when i do it. This way i can look back and tell when some preventive maintenance work might need to be done in the future. Welcome to stangnet! :nice: