FINALLY got a Mustang, now need some maintenance tips.

fyi, 6 quarts of mobil 1 at sams or costco is $23. then go to walmart and buy a few motorcraft filters for $3 a pop. (last year walmart stopped carring motorcraft, so I'm stocking up :)), and paypal me $20 that I saved you :D.

and fuel filter is every 30,000 not 20,000.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm. I've seen some mixed responses on the ammount of oil to use. Everywhere I check has said 5 quarts, and that ammount puts me at the right spot on the dipstick. I don't think they had any different capacities throughout the 4.6 years, but I could be wrong. It wouldn't hurt to buy 6 quarts, because it's better to have too much with you, than not enough. I would put the 5 quarts in, and adjust if neccessary . Be sure to check on level ground, and wait for all of the oil to settle to the pan.

UDTBadkarma said:
Preventive Maintenance Tips:
- Spark Plug Wires

That would be really hard on a 2000 GT! :D

the98stang said:
Yes your car takes 5 quarts (with a new filter). Don't EVER use Fram, they make sh1t products. You can buy a Motorcraft filter from Walmart for under 3 dollars. It's NEVER too late to switch to synthetic ;) . You can use 5w-20 or 5w-30. 5w-30 might be better for the summer (hotter outside + thicker oil).

A lot of people get the gears first. You will definetely feel them :nice:
My buddy's dad has a 2001 Camaro SS. He switched to synthetic at 90k and got a head tick. I'd say a switch that late CAN be a risk, but you may not have a problem.

wms004 said:
My buddy's dad has a 2001 Camaro SS. He switched to synthetic at 90k and got a head tick. I'd say a switch that late CAN be a risk, but you may not have a problem.

his ticking was caused by somthing other than the oil. switching to a better oil is not going to cause a mechanical problem.

LS-1's tend to bend pushrods I would look there first

piston slap? they're notorious for that.

mike, what about switching from conventional oil to synthetic after 100,000 miles. aren't the seals going to go bad and start burning oil or something?

Stang|ess said:
piston slap? they're notorious for that.

mike, what about switching from conventional oil to synthetic after 100,000 miles. aren't the seals going to go bad and start burning oil or something?
The synthetic oil is not what makes the seals go bad. Over time, seals naturally wear out and dino oil is not as slick as synthetic. Therefore, dino oils seal up gaps in the engine. When an engine leaks if synthetic oil is used, then the engine needs a rebuild. Synthetic oil is not the culprit.

I was just saying that by switching from conventional to synthetic after so many miles will cause those gaps, as you said to be revealed.

his car has some miles on it, and it might be better for him to stick with conventional.

Well I allready made the switch... how bad is it for it to change back to non-synthetic at the next change? Is it bad for the two oils to mix, even small doses? I figured since the 4.6 is a revver a high quality oil is a good step, so I went with the Motorcraft Synth.