Finally got around to that pesky idle........

v8thunder1

Dec 7, 2003
I wanted to thank everyone who inputed info on the excessive idle fix by using a 1/2 inch copper cap in the idle air line. Its funny how sometimes the free mods are the best ones. I drilled mine to 9/32 and its perfect. Its still able to bring up the idle when its cold and for the A/C, but it can only control it up to about 1100 rpm's. Now, the moment you let off the gas, its immedietly drops to idle speed. The exhaust sounds really mean between shifts now, you know that flowmaster growl. Thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

My post explains all there is to it. if you drive a 5-speed then you should have noticed that the idle in these cars takes DAYS to drop down. if you havent noticed, cool- go about your day. But if you have noticed and you want to fix it just go to the hardware store and but a .29cent 1/2" copper cap and drill the center of it using a 9/32 drill bit and then throw it into the hose between the iac and that little black box. Then log back onto stangnet, click the forums link and thank me for the super cheap fix.

v8thunder1 said:
I wanted to thank everyone who inputed info on the excessive idle fix by using a 1/2 inch copper cap in the idle air line. Its funny how sometimes the free mods are the best ones. I drilled mine to 9/32 and its perfect. Its still able to bring up the idle when its cold and for the A/C, but it can only control it up to about 1100 rpm's. Now, the moment you let off the gas, its immedietly drops to idle speed. The exhaust sounds really mean between shifts now, you know that flowmaster growl. Thanks guys!!
Dude, this may be a little :OT: but I love your avatar!

I know where your talking about...but on what side of the hose. So your hose is not hooked up to the iac. instead you have a cap on the end right? do you have any pics you can post of this so we have a better idea about what your trying to explain???

it keeps the idle air from hooting like an owl at you... if you look at the old aluminum intakes, the very first IAC tubes didnt have them. Too many owners complained I guess, so Ford added a little box to silence it. Some people had the problem, some didn't.

ok.... Im still kinda confused, I guess mine is different. When I first start up the car at idle, its right around 1000-1100rpm since the computer has it. Once the computer clicks off, normally after I drive it a min or two, it will idle around 700-750rpm. When I put the clutch in to shift, the needle drops pretty quickly for me. Its not taking "days" to drop down :shrug: . I normally shift at around 3000rpm for each gear, and it will drop down to around 1500rpm most of the time before I can get it in another gear.
I know what tube and all you are talking about, but again, I dont seem to have this idle problem with my car staying at a high idle like some of you are talking about.
Any other enlightenment would be appreciated. Maybe Im just missing something :shrug:

Thanks for the avatar compliment. I dont have any pics of this, but we really couldnt put it in simpler terms. I think maybe different cars have different tunes fron the factory that conrol the rpm drop rate, aka the dashpot. For my 99 GT it really bothered me how the revs would just linger there for awhile before very slowly dropping down. Ive been told that Ford did this for emissions. I drove a 97 Z-28 that didnt have this problem at all, and made me realize how bad this problem was on my car. Now that Ive fixed it feels like a carbuereted car, I love it. But its not for everybody.

well, I finally got around to trying this, and I'm not satisfied with the results. It still doesn't really fall much faster (my experience). I put it in, started the car, let it idle, turned on my a/c, rev'd it and.... it still didn't fall fast enough to my likn's :mad:

krly79 said:
well, I finally got around to trying this, and I'm not satisfied with the results. It still doesn't really fall much faster (my experience). I put it in, started the car, let it idle, turned on my a/c, rev'd it and.... it still didn't fall fast enough to my likn's :mad:
What size did you drill it out to? I couldnt be happier with mine.