First 01 4.6 2V bolt-ons/mods?

Stang338

Aug 30, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Hey so my 01 GT has been stock all it's life, the engine is in great condition... But was thinking to finally do MINOR mods to it. Spending under $1000, I know bolt-ons usually aren't worth the price for power but I really don't care, I don't want to go with FI because I'm going for longevity because the car is my daily. I just want a bit more of a punch from the stock feel. Only thing I did to car was flowmaster 40 mufflers, and it sounds perfect so I'm not looking to do an exhaust system. Tell me if I should scratch stuff off my list or add stuff..

I was thinking ...

- Approx. $350 (with gaskets) Ford Performance Performance Improvement Intake Manifold (96-04 GT W/ PI Heads) <--- Not too sure if mine has PI heads but my heater hose nipple hose thing popped out not too long ago, but the manifold itself hasn't cracked yet, I'm still running the OEM one. So I'm not sure if this would be a waste of money if my manifold isn't quite "broken" yet.
- Approx $400 Bama X4/SF4 Tuner
- Approx $270 Airraid MXP Series Cold Air Intake w/Synthaflow Oiled Filter <-- I hear a lot of bad things about CAI in general but I'm assuming that this would help me out since I would be tuning it anyway? Let me know, I'm not sure how good the stock one compares to an aftermarket one.
- Approx $200 BBK 70mm Throttle Body <---- yay or nay?
- Approx $200 MGW Short Throw Shifter STANDARD <-------- more like in the future, not yet

That's all I've really got in mind, NO I'm not looking to get new add FI, new cams, gearing, or anything that changes the car too harshly. If there are any mods I should NOT consider or SHOULD consider, then please let me know, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Yours is a PI...if your existing manifold is gooned up, replace it with the Ford Performance piece. I'm a fan of getting the chassis right before making a lot of changes to the motor. I'd skip the tuner at this point and modify the air silencer/rubber snorkel on the stock air intake (mark it with a sharpie where it goes thru the fender, pull it out, then cut it off about 3/4" away from the sharpie mark towards the open end...yielded an opening on mine over three times the original size...price $0. The cut snorkel will still go thru the fender and draw cool air from there). That said, I'd skip the bigger throttle body as well. I'd buy the shifter (the MGW is an excellent choice) and replace the upper/lower rear control arms and bushings...point being to gain driveability and get the existing power you have to the tires. Other adds to consider before doing anything else to the motor include subframe connectors and new shocks/struts if needed.

Reactions: 1 users