First Engine Build. Need advice

YawnY

Sep 12, 2008
Alright, so I have an 1986 mustang with a 92 5.0. I pulled the motor and trans out and now I have the motor completely disassembled. I got my stock crank cut/polished and now thinking what kind of pistons I want to run. I've heard the stock rods are good to somewhere around 400+ horse if I even make it to that much, Im running my stock heads ported and GT40 intake.

Which pistons should I be looking at I want forged that will handle a nitrous shot. I thought of running a E303 cam with 1.6 rockers but I'm not certain, I might have clearance issues. I was told that I "have to" buy heads by a local shop but I think differently.

Let me know what you guys think i should be doing. I have a budget of only $2,000 so I'm not looking for anything huge.

Any opinions are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

im running the .030 over sealed powers from summit, from what i saw basically just a stock style forged pistong, just .030 over. should clear your head/cam combo just fine (im running the trickflow kit on mine).

? Never heard of pro performance...... If it's one of those fleebay deals, stay away.

Try contacting Jim Woods at OpenDNS for quality parts at a good cost. He mostly deals with Probe Industries, but can get you anything from Scat, Eagle, Dart, World Ind. and so on. Another thing to mention, he wont try to sell you something you don't need so he can make a buck. I have delt with him several times and his customer service is outstanding.