First Engine Mods?

sunil6784

Mar 31, 2005
Boston, MA
I've decided I'm gonna start modding the car. I already have the usual...cat-back, gears, subframe connector. Now I want to start doing the motor. Other than a H/C/I combo, which I will do in the future, what are some mods that I could do that will help now and when i do the H/C/I ?

I was thinking of either a shifter (just to make it more fun to drive) or some underdrive pulleys ?

• Sponsors (?)

First: Bump the timing from 10 degrees(that is a free mod)
Roller Rockers
Electric Fan w/ 3G alternator
K&N panel filter
Larger MAF and TB (as BCD mentioned)
Under Drive pullies or run a shorter belt

Edit: I just put in my Steeda shifter. The difference is simply amazing! I can't wait until spring to drive the car again.

I already did the timing, I'm running it at 12-13 degrees, still on 87. Maybe this winter i'll do the electric fan, 3g alternator, and under drive pulleys. I think I'll do the rockers when I do the H/C/I.

I spent a lot of time dyno testing electric fan / 3G alternator combinations on my car. I found that with the electric fan, the stock alternator just wasn't enough. The car would discharge and ocassionally idle rough because of low system voltage. I put a 3G in, and it solved all of the electrical problems, but my total power gain for the combination was 0.

I do think the 3G is a good upgrade, but if improved performance is the primary objective, you're not going to be happy with the 3G/electric fan combo.

Ultimately, I expect to get a bone fide performance improvement by also switching to an electric water pump, now I have the electrical power to run it.

Just a note about my car - it's not a high electrical demand car. It doesn't even have a radio, and aside from the ignition system pretty much the only electrical accessories ever used are the electric fan, instrument cluster, PCM, and sometimes lights. It has underdrive pullies though. I was surprised that the stock alternator would not run this stuff, but it just wasn't enough with the electric fan in there.

-Matthew