First time driving car after h/i/c. All I have to say is... WOW

I finally finished my h/i/c swap over the weekend and got my car running good. I took it for spin and all I have to say is holy ****! The car is FAST. I am very happy. All that time and hard work has paid off! Everything is good except I need to install my new fuel pump because I can tell the car isn't getting enough fuel. It's running a bit lean bit lean. I also have an adjustable fuel pressure reg. to install. I can hear the rockers tick on the passenger side. I readjusted them today and they still tick a bit... Maybe they just need to break in? Anyhow the car is awesome now! I love it!

Just thought I'd share...

Yep, its awesome to actually *FEEL* what you have accomplished with the car isn't it? I know I felt the same as you after the vortech install! Im curious to know what that might feel like with a H/C/I package... but for now I am pleased.. keep up the good work man.

Install a Kenne Bell

As for the rockers you must not have installed them correctly if they tick, there is a long pain staking procedure in correctly installing roller rockers & if you got rockers ticking I would highly suggest you do not drive it untill you fixed them.

Yeah it is a good feeling...I went from no traction problems to traction issues up to 70mph

On the rockers...ticking can be actually pretty common and to adjust them is an easy procedure IMO...what kind of rockers you running...some just run noisy...

www.flowtechinduction.com has a procedure to follow for stud-mounted rockers. Check for exhaust leaks...what is your timing set at? Spark plug gap? You might be able to get even more out of it...

Good Luck

Plugs are gapped at .045". Timing is at 14*, but I think I may advance it to 16* to see if I can get more out of it. I have pedestal mount rockers. I adjusted them twice and they all needed one .30" shim. Car runs fine, but if I pop the hood I can hear the rockers a bit on the passenger side.

I found the passenger side seems to echo and kind of enhance the sound. I find my scorpions (1.6) sound like little sewing machines, but no one sounds louder than the other..uniform. I have, and you may find your headers and collector may need a good fastening a couple time to quiet small exhaust leaks. If the hood is down and the sound is still quite obvious I would go in to readjust. Side note for you..remember to retorque you lower intake bolts at LEAST once after a few hundred miles. Mine had gone from 18Ft pounds to under 10Ft in just 100 miles..could prevent disaster, and only takes a few minutes.

What's weird is when I start the car when the motor is cold I cannot hear the rockers at all. It's when the car warms up to normal operating temp. (180*), I can hear ticking coming from the passenger side. I didn't notice any exhaust leaks, but I could be wrong. I just drove the car around today for an hour straight and it is awesome. It runs great! You can't hear the rockers ticking once you get moving, but if I am sitting in the car at idle I can hear them just slightly. You can't really hear them from outside the car when the hood is closed, unless you listen good. In about a week I'm going to re-torque the head, lower intake, and rocker bolts. Also, would it be smart to use loctite on the rocker bolts? I didn't use anything yet. Do they back out easy?

No need for loctie on the rocker bolts (8 months later and I'm fine on my daily driver)...

I found it not necessary to retorque the head bolts...but the intake bolts I had to...once...since then they haven't backed out at all...

I can hear my stud Scorpion RR's at idle (normal operation sound)...don't know about yours...I would have to hear them in person I guess

Yeah I'm running 16* timing (93 octane)...and I have the same spark plug gap as you...(.045)...

I have FRPP 1.72:1 roller rockers on my 90 GT and they have been noisy like it has a mechanical cam since they day they were installed. Been that way for almost 4 years. Some rockers are just noisy.

Great job, amazing potential out of these engines if you let them breathe a little.

About your noisy passenger side rockers, probably stupid, but are you sure that you are clearing the oil baffle on your valve cover? Just a thought!

JDNock said:
Great job, amazing potential out of these engines if you let them breathe a little.

About your noisy passenger side rockers, probably stupid, but are you sure that you are clearing the oil baffle on your valve cover? Just a thought!

Yes that is what I was thinking because the sound comes from the front of the passenger side valve cover... But when I think about it, I don't see why I wouldn't clear it. I have FMS 1.6 rockers, not 1.7. The valve covers are the same height as stock. Why would it not clear?