Fixing a bent frame rail

Kingll

Jun 8, 2018
Mississippi
Hi i bought a cheap project car that looked like it hit a pole. At first i though it was going to be an easy fix just replace the radator support but when i was fitting the new one in i reallized that the passenger side frame rail was bent inwards. Up on closer inspection the passenger side tire is also at a small angle. A friend of mine father told me to use a come along to pull it back out and hope for the best. Has anyone ever done this?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a strong DIY'er. But if this were my car (and I have had this issue myself) I would take to a professional body shop and at least ask for a quote. Also don't expect professional body straightening to be cheap.

The guys that do this for a living have the specialized equipment and the know how to do it right the first time. This is as much of an "art form" as it is a science.

Also consider that you will only get one chance to "get it right". Incorrect technique can do just as much if not more damage than the wreck did.

OBTW, I have seen more than one case where the sheet metal "puckers" right at the firewall opening where the AC drain line goes through. The metal pucker forces through the AC evaporator case breaking it. This causes a water leak inside the passenger compartment at the foot well.

Last edited:
when I bought my 86 mustang the frame rails on both side were bent. I took it to a local vo tech that teaches highschool kids body work. the teacher had his students put it on the frame machine and straightened it right out. I paid nothing for labor only had to pa for new fenders which were all I needed maybe you should check into that option

The vo tech here doesn't have a teacher for that class anymore he quit when i was in school and they haven't gotten a new one since. But i manage to get it straight with a heavy duty chain engine hoist. It drove pretty straight with a slight pull way better than my moms min van so its something i can live with. Only problem left now is the power steering leak coming from the rack and pinion where the hose connects to.