Flaming River steering column....please help guys...

bishop1911

Apr 11, 2005
I have purchased the flaming river steering column shown in the following link - http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=FR2000MU2+01&Category=&catkey=emustang

I then purchased the Lacarra steering wheel and adapter from Mustang Depot shown here. http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/images/Steering/ml-mk3-kit.jpg

If reading the description, these should work together no problem, but when we try to put them together, they don't work. First, there appears to be only on "contact" on the inside of the steering column instead of two. I am not sure what this means but my car guy said I may need 2. Also, the adapter only goes so far down that main bolt, and then there is a huge gap. Can someone please help me with this? Is there another piece I am missing or am I not doing something right? Can someone post any pics of their finished steering column with adapter if they have a tilt flaming river? Maybe Jay has a suggestion. Thanks guys.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

I did the same swap and the Flaming River guys are Flaming idiots. I had to make a custom adapter to connect the two. Why would I want to put a GM splined shaft in a Ford? So....I bought the tilt column with the Ford shaft in case I ever wanted to go back to a stock wheel. Good luck!

steering column

So does that mean you used the Flaming River column? I am a bit confused when you said you bought another column. Did you contact Flaming river about this and what did they say if you did? I posted this in another forum and I was told that there are spacers I may need to use, but I didn't get any. Anyway, I do want to use this as I have already purchased the steering box as well and have painted the column black. Either way, if you could take some pics or maybe give me a little more detailed info as to how you created a custom adapter, that would be great. Thanks for the help.

Jon

Yes, I used the Flaming river column with the Ford spline. I used the LaCarra steering wheel adapter and welded a spacer on the bottom to hide the gap. Flaming River told me they did not have anything to make it work except to say I should of bought the GM spline.

Column

Thanks for the pic and info. Aside from having to make a custom spacer, did you have to change out any other parts for the column? I was told from my guy who is working on the car that the internals didn't look right and that I may need to swap something. That there should be 2 contacts, and not 2, whatever that means. If I can just put the adapter on and go, great, if not, please let me know what else you did to make it work. Also, what about the spacer listed here? http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=G4001+01&Category=&catkey=emustang

Would that work or am I better having something custom made. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it. If you would rather email me info or attachments, my email is [email protected]

Jon

I purchased a Flaming River tilt column and a Moto Lita wheel from Mustang Depot. Everything fit like a charm. I was impressed with Mustang Depot's knowledge of the columns/wheels. I'm not trying to rub it in, but just to let others know. I am having issues wiring mine up.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on the subject? I need to know which wires from the harness connect to the Flaming River column.

Thanks,
Dave

FYI there is suppose to be spacers provided with the column. If not, they do have them available.

The wiring diagram from FR is available from them as well. It should be included with the install instructions.

Really though if you guys are going to go with aftermarket wheels, it makes more sense to use the GM spline as there are more options for wheels and adaptors.

spacers

Well, thanks for the info, but mine didn't come with spacers. I will call them today however and speak with them. Diverdave....you said that wours fit perfectly, I am assuming that you used the spacers or that it came with spcaers? Also, does anything have to be changed on the internals or just put the adapter right on? Where does the cable plug in or get through the adapter since I do not see a hole to put it through. Thanks again guys.

Jon

The spacer (piece of cheap plastic) you are talking about won't work. The only way to get it going is to weld a solid aluminum spacer to the bottom of the steering wheel adapter and drill a blind hole in the bottom of it for your turn signal canceling feature.

I too had this problem, I found the F/River shaft was slightly larger in diameter than the original gears shaft. I used a sanding drum wheel in my Dremel tool to open up the opening. If you flip the hub adapter over you can see the smooth cast area that stops where the splines begin, I just moved the sanding drum around this a little bit. Before I did this the retainer nut was only engaging a thread to two, now the end of the shaft protrudes slightly above the nut, so I know I have full engagement of the splines.

After I installed the wheel, I adjusted the column sleeve up a little bit to close up the remaining gap.

Flaming A-Holes

I just called Flaming river and they were not much help. I asked about spacers, and they said their spacers were only about a 1/4" and would not work there. I asked how come a column that says it will work with OEM mustang wheels and an adapter for mustangs don't work together. His reply, well, there are a million different wheels out there. Then when I said well, the stock wheel was tried on it and it still had a space, he said, well, there is sometimes a little fabrication work to be done. Real nice Flaming River. Anyway, he says the way to resolve this is kinda what you guys have said. Use existing setup, drill a hole through Adapter to accept canceling control, then create a spacer to cover remaining space. That sound about right? As long as that will work, that is what I will do. I would just hate to go through all that and then find out there was another part that had to be changed out on the inside. I would love to know how diverdave's column fit without and modification. What model column did you get? The column with OEM ford wheels or aftermarket? Thanks guys.

Jon

THe thing with the Flaming River column is that it is basically a GM column. The adapter/fabrication required when using the Ford-splined shaft is to adapt the GM horn setup to the Ford wheel. The adapter plates, which are made of cheap plastic, theoretically allow the canceling post for the turn signal to work, and to allow the horn wire to pass through. To install the upper adapter piece, holes must be drilled into the base of the steering wheel and the plate is attached with screws. The wiring, which has a GM plug, has to be adapted to the Ford harness and a horn relay added. From my experience, which ended with returning all the stuff to FR for a refund (the column was included in one of their infamous rack-and-pinion kits) the best way to install a FR column (if you must) would be to use anaftermarket wheel with a GM adapter and a column with GM splines.

I feel your pain my brother.....but that seems to be the norm for a lot of these companies. They want you to pay top dollar, but then want you to make it work for them. Lame excuses.....too bad. If I can be of more assistance let me know! Good Luck!

Column

Well, I hear ya, but I don't think I can nor do I want to return the column. It has already been painted, so I doubt they would take it back. Either way, I am sure I can make it work, just as huey did. I am still curious as to how diverdave's worked so well. Either way, huey if you have any other pics or close up shots you think may help me, that would be great. I am just going to go back to my car guy this weekend and give him the bad news. We will simply drill a hole in the bottom of the adapter and fit that canceling cam in. How did the hookup of the horn wiring work on that for you huey? There is one wire coming from column, and 2 wires in adapter. What did you do there? Thanks.

Jon