Flexplate issues, i need help!

crushnut

Apr 27, 2003
Oregon
Well i have come across another problem trying to get my engine and transmission together. Originally i couldnt get the two mated together because my convertor wasnt all the way back, but i pushed and wiggled on it some more, and it is now where it should be. I can get the engine and bellhousing, and the convertor and flexplate bolted together, but when i start to torque down the convertor nuts to spec.(25 ftlbs) the weight on the flexplate rubs against the engine/block plate, so much you cant turn the engine over by hand. The flexplate is actually deflecting as you turn the engine over, i know this because i had someone turn the engine over by hand, and i placed my finger on the flexplate while it was being turned and it went from being on my finger to 1/2'' gap between the two and back to my finger again. Does that make any sense? :scratch:

Any ideas as to what is causing this? All suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Oh and just so you know, i put the torque convertor on the flexplate while it was out of the car (on a hoist) and tightened everything down and turned over the engine and it didnt rub at all, the clearances were all fine. So something is changing when it gets installed to the trans that is causing this to happen, i just dont know what it is :shrug: :notnice:

WORTH said:
teh only thing that can change is the pilot hole in the crank may not be big enough for the pilot on the torque converter, did you try that while it was off.

Yeah i did, that is why i installed the convertor to the flexplate while the engine was suspended from the hoist. It slid right in the pilot hole no problem. Any other ideas :shrug: I personally am out of ideas to try, i was hoping someone here could help me :(

Thanks anyways Worth

Are you bolting the flexplate to the engine, then the converter to the flexplate, then installing the tranny? If so, DON'T! From the voice of experiance, I say ALWAYS preinstall the converter with the transmission so you're SURE the tabs are engaged in the front pump. As you are installing the tranny, ALWAYS make sure the converter is moveable! IT should be able to 'wiggle'. Even with the studs engaged in the flexplate it should move. Only then should you tighten up the converter to the flexplate. If you still have your problem after doing this, we'll have to think of something else.

By the way, The converter doesn't only have to engage the front pump (1st step back), it also has to engage the transmision input shaft (2nd step back). You probably only felt the 1st not the second.

Are you making sure the drain holes for the converter are going through the provided holes in the flexplate? This is a fairly common mistake.

One more,did you change from a 3 or 4 speed and forget to remove the pilot bearing?

mdjay said:
Are you making sure the drain holes for the converter are going through the provided holes in the flexplate? This is a fairly common mistake.

One more,did you change from a 3 or 4 speed and forget to remove the pilot bearing?

Im such a goober :rolleyes: It was the drain plug the whole time :doh: Oh well at least it was a easy fix :nice:

Thanks guys :)

One last thing to keep in mind, guys and gals, if someone rebuilds the tranny and takes the front pump apart and puts the inner pump gear in upside down, this will keep the convertor from going deep enough into the trans to get the convertor to have end play after bolting up the bell ( at least on a C-6). The inner pump gear has a bevel on it, that when installed backwards lets the convertor shoulder out on the gear instead of sliding back where the bevel would be. Been there, experienced that. Took a LOT of head scratching to figure that one out. Come to find out we were dealing with a perturbed (disturbed) tranny guy. He was trying to convince us we were not smart enough to install a transmission, and was trying to prove his point. Guess we had the last "laugh".