flexplate reinforcment ring hlep needed

Tn-mustang

Apr 13, 2005
Do 5.0 engines require a flexplate reinforcment or load spreader ring between the flexplate and felxplate bolts. I saw these mentioned in Tom Monroe's book "How to Build a Ford Small Block" but the local Ford dealer ddin't know what I was talking about. He mentions in the book that they are for spreading the load out when torque the flexplate bolts to keep it from cracking. I found them for sale at Mustang Plus for 65-69 289 and 302s but no mention of late model. I have a 90 5.0 that I am changing from standard trans to a c4 and am confused. What is your experience? I am using a TCI flexplate. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

thanks

That is the part number I found as well in my 66 mustang shop manual. The local ford dealer told me he didn't know what I was talking about. Is this something that frod did away with? Do you use one on your 5.0. My car is a 66 but has a 1990 5.0 engine that I am going to back up with a C4.

What balance flywheel will you be using?
The 1966 C-4 flywheel will fit on the '90 302 but will be balanced wrong for a 1990 engine. I seem to remember the '66 289's with a C-4 as being all 157 tooth flywheel equipped which was never made in a late model 50 oz. balance configuration from Ford. Are you using the original trans that came in the Mustang? I think Ford did away with the reinforcement ring by '90.

flexplate

The C4 is a rebuilt that I got locally. I bought a TCI flexplate with 50 oz imbalance 157 tooth from summit. The engine is 1990 5.0 with 50 oz balancer so that should all work together. The car and the engine were both manual as I had to pull the pilot bearing. It didn't have that ring and I wouldn't have know anything about it till I read Tom Monroes book on rebuilding a ford small block. I found that mustang plus sell this ring but they list it for 65-69 289 and 302. I am just wondering if this is something that Ford deleted and if I need it. Thanks for the help. I primarily work on only the older stuff so the late model 5.0 is a little new to me.

I would think that since Ford deleted the use of the ring they think the newer style flywheel is strong enough. Since the Summit part is obviously made for a late model with 50 oz unbalance I would say you don't need the reinforcement ring. I would say call Summit but most of those guys on the tech line are young guys who only speak chevy.:mad: "Small block or big block sir, and would you like fries with your order?" :D "Oh sorry. That was my last job.":)