Flood car repair

4eyegt

Sep 25, 2009
Yuma, Az
I picked up an 89 GT in rather good condition considering it was up to the roof in water. I pulled the drain plug on the pan and waited a full 45 seconds for pure water to stop flowing. When the oil/water mix did flow it was bad. Coolant seems ok from what I flushed out so far. Power steering fluid is clean as well. Or so it seems so far. I know oils float on water so the water could be hiding from me still.

This brings me to the next step. I ran out of light and since I'm doing this on the street a flood light is a no-no. I need to drain the transmission fluid and the differential tomorrow. So what is the best way to make sure I get all the junk out of the trans and the motor? The motor I guess I could just do a few oil change cycles at close intervals? The trans is the hard one. I was hoping I could drain the fluid and run something through it but I don't know what to use. It's a T5 so I guess I could just cycle a few quarts of ATF and keep flushing it out. I'm soaking the cylinders/rings in Marvels Mystery oil to reduce the damage in case it fires up.

I'm not expecting it to run but it would be nice if it did. I'm trying to do everything I can to ensure it has a chance to start.

Pics since I know most people like to see car pictures:

View attachment 212154
View attachment 212155
View attachment 212156
029-Copy.jpg

027-Copy.jpg

Oh yeah I paid $500 for the car and $700 to ship it to me!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be extremely surprised if that current motor in the car ever ran again. Condensation rusts and pits exposed metal surfaces on the inside of the engine, fouls bearings, and the the combination of water and sulfur content in oil creates acids that damage anything and everything. The PCM in the car and wiring harness is gone as well. Your best bet would be to gut the car to a shell, salvage whatever interior plastics you can, and start over.

This is a father/son project but I was hoping to keep it 5.0 for now. If I have to replace the motor the local yards charge same price for 5.0 and 5.8 so a 5.8 would find a new home in this car. I also would like to keep it EFI but if harness is shot then it would be easier to go carb for now.

I've wired stand alones into cars before so I'm not new to wiring just would like to do this cheap as possible since the kids are paying for it. I also have 2 other T5's that I'm rebuilding and I have plans that include replacing everything in the rear but the housing. Most interior will stay but the seats, carpet and a few other items will get swapped with black since they are damaged and I really don't like that much red in the car.

I guess I was just hoping I could do a few things to it and build it as they learn to drive it instead of building a car that has way more power then they are use to. The end goal is still the same: to have my kids build/drive the car and run 10-11 seconds in the 1/4. Guess the 5.8 goes into the 89 instead of my 86.

Salvaging a flood victim car parked in the street would be a monumental task. I think if you have any hope of saving this car, your first step would be to find a garage/barn/shed to work in.

A few years back the water pipes froze and burst in my apartment building, and filled my car with water, as it was sitting in a garage inside the building. The extent of the flooding was in the interior of the car, and it required me to remove the ENTIRE interior, seats, carpet, door panels, etc. Water can get into places you'd never expect, and there are plenty of places where it can pool and just sit in these cars.

I think your car MIGHT be salvageable, but you're looking at replacing/rebuilding anything that is lubricated with grease or oil, and probably a lot of the electronics too.

ALL of the electrical connections inside the car WILL NEED replaced. Everything under the car WILL NEED to be gone threw to make sure it's free of rust. Ask me how I know! My Car went through a NorEastern in Virginia. I found problems a year or two after I had gone through the WHOLE car! GOOD LUCk!!!

Yup, all electrical will need to be replaced. If it looks good now, it won't in a year or so...especially if water remains trapped in a harness or connector somewhere.

Mechanically, it can prob be salvaged, but you really need a garage. Doing this in the street might be tricky. First cop that rolls by and sees you under the car is gonna stop.

I admire your desire, but a flood car is pretty much parts only if it was totally submerged. It really needs to be stripped down to nothing and built from scratch...which is hard to do in the street.

If it had been salt water, there'd be no doubt... that would be a parts car.

I went through quite a few after Katrina. 99% were total losses. To this day, I go over any pre-2006 with a fine toothed comb.

My buddy had his car flooded above the roof and with in a year his quarters under the side skirts had holes in it. I know we all sound negative and your probably very positive about it but make sure you go through every nut an bolt in the car and strip in down to a bare shell.