Fluid change mileage after gear install

merc123

Jan 27, 2003
North GA
Just put in a brand new FRPP rear dif. I took the fill plug out after a 100 mile drive and it had a little bit of metal on it assumingly from it wearing together. Is there a need to do a fluid change on the diff after a certain mileage, similiar to when you first put a motor together and change the oil after 1000 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Does a new car have a break in period for the rear diff?

Did you do the work yourself? Did you clean the plug after the work was done? If not, the metal could have easily been left over from the prior set up.

If if were my car, I would clean the magnet and re-install. Check it again in a few hundred miles and go from there.

Good point about a new car. I did all the work myself. The plug was already in the new rear so it was brand new. It wasn't just a gear install, it was a whole new rear end. I'll check again in a few more hundred miles.

Yeah the whole new car thing pretty much sums it up, if you used the right fluid and thickening agent you will be fine, just clean everything and reinstall. If you want to change the fluid go for it you can never change fluids too much I say :nice: