fluid/filter change

jlds91389

New Member
Feb 1, 2009
241
0
0
Orange Tx
i used the search and cant find the exact answer im looking for. i want to know what can i use for fluid? do i have to use straight mercron v or can i use like a dex/merc mix? and im draining the converter to. dosnt my car have a drain plug on the converter.? sorry if these are newb questions
 
yes

I used the older fluid on my 99 , I read later it takes a different type 70,000 miles but no problems so far & yes there is a drain plug on the converter , put a new filter , dont overfill & when starting it let it idle slow till it fills the whole unit .... I always change the tranny fluid & filter & rack steering every 75,000 miles .... it pays off in the long run ... good luck
 
I believe it says right on the trans dipstick Mercon V. If it asks for Mercon V, use Mercon V. It should be in the owners manual. With my old daily driver I just changed the filer and added 4 or so quarts to get the trans back up to full levels. I had over 130,000 miles on the car, replaced my filter twice and never had 1 problem with the trans. I did use Mercon V tho.
 
I would not mix them. Some mechanics have told me they use different pumps for different rear end fluids. Thats a bit over the top in my opinion but I wouldn't mix different types of ATF together because they don't have the same physical characteristics.