Flywheel he!! need help

great8

Mar 19, 2003
vegas
Went to get my new billet steel 50oz 157 tooth flywheel and spec stage one clutch put in today. Not a complete rip off $250 for labor. Until the guy from the shop calls me and says that my flywheel is rubbing my starter....
I call the Mustang Depot (where i purchased the flywheel) and asked them WTF!!! The add said "just bolt it on and go" He calls back and says that in some mustangs the starter needs to be backspaced and that should work.
The guy from the shop didn't recomend it but did it anyways.
Well when he gets done and test drives the car he said that it vibrates real bad, and it"s because of the flyw. Throwing everything out of ballance. and to resurface my old one and re-install it would run me another $250. I decided to drive it home and see how my cash flow looked. Upset ..
Well on the way home my car shook like all hell and i could hardly even shift gears. even when i double clutched it, it felt like i was going to break the gear shifter. I'm totally screwed here, has anyone ever had this happen? What was the problem? I just turned a $250 day into $500 just because i wanted to buy upgraded parts. :notnice: Someone shed some light on me, please.
Also, the clutch wants to grab about 1mm off the floor board. I thought 88 stangs were self adjusting.
Thanks for any reply's and knowledge.

• Sponsors (?)

I just got done installing a spec stainless steel flywheel and stage one clutch - both from Spec - they both bolted right in and worked fine from the get go - I would suggest calling Spec and see what they say - you didn't say if your flywheel was from Spec or elswhere.

Howard

IF you have an 88 with an 88 fuel injected motor, I say you just got the wrong flywheel. It is a 28oz imbalance not a 50oz. Maybe I ain't been around enough, but has anyone seen a 157tooth 50oz? I haven't anyone? I dunno, bud, wish I could help. I know this much, I mistakenly put a 50oz on an 84 5.0 capri years ago. Sounds just like what I had. :(

Every mustang hero i've talked to said i needed 50oz flywheel. You can find them all over ebay 50oz 157 tooth. If i drive it back to the shop (about 15 miles) will anything break because of this?
I bought the clutch from a spec reseller.
My car is a EFI w/ original MAF

As far as i know the 302 from '82 and up in Fordland was a 50oz imbalance. I took my balancer from an '82 LTD and put it on my '89 motor, no problems. My flywheel is a 50oz. I'm certain anything '82 or 83 and up is 50oz if it's a 302, the break from 28oz was one of those years.

Maybe someone put an earlier motor in your car :shrug:

Well, I am no Mustang HERO, just a guy trying to help. I can't guarantee it won't bust the crank, probably not. I was suggesting that they sent you the wrong imbalance. I bet they sent you a 28.oz. Is the car fuel injected??? If it is an efi car it should be a 50oz. I get mispackaged new parts all of the time.

Kewl thanks, I wasn't calling anyone here a "mustang hero" just the jackass's That could have sent me the wrong flywheel and 500 bones later i get a resurfaced manufactured one. I wonder if they will refund my shipping cost too. THIS HAS BEEN A BAD DAY..Nevertheless, at least i have the funds available to fix this, I'm just trying to take the positive from this one.