Foghorn, Edbert, anyone else who's done an Autometer install...

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
I need help. Basically, I need to know if you guys (67-68 owners) had interference problems with your speedo/tach and the brace in the dash that supports the steering column, and if so, how did you deal with it.

Here's the back story.
A couple of years ago I bought a full set of Autometer in dash gauges and installed them onto the back of my original bezel. I wasn't happy with the way I had them attached and when they were in the car the bezel set just a little too far out away from the dash.
Now I've got everything the way I want it except for the bezel still doesn't want to go all the way back. It lacks maybe a 1/4 inch, but it bugs me. I even took the (Autometer gauges) bezel off the speedo and tach, so that the glass mounts right to the factory bezel.

If I lay my bezel face down on the table with the openings for the speedo and tach being flat on the table, the back of the gauges are 3 3/4" (4 3/4 with the light plugs) from the measuring surface.

Can anyone help me?
I'm trying to do this right this time around.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I need help. Basically, I need to know if you guys (67-68 owners) had interference problems with your speedo/tach and the brace in the dash that supports the steering column, and if so, how did you deal with it.

Here's the back story.
A couple of years ago I bought a full set of Autometer in dash gauges and installed them onto the back of my original bezel. I wasn't happy with the way I had them attached and when they were in the car the bezel set just a little too far out away from the dash.
Now I've got everything the way I want it except for the bezel still doesn't want to go all the way back. It lacks maybe a 1/4 inch, but it bugs me. I even took the (Autometer gauges) bezel off the speedo and tach, so that the glass mounts right to the factory bezel.

If I lay my bezel face down on the table with the openings for the speedo and tach being flat on the table, the back of the gauges are 3 3/4" (4 3/4 with the light plugs) from the measuring surface.

Can anyone help me?
I'm trying to do this right this time around.
Thanks

I'm a little scared now!! I just put my Auto meter gauges in my bezel, did the wirnig but have not tried to fir tehm in the dash. I better go try this our. Maybe grinding some of this dash away may help

DSC00433.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 89
It's o.k., I've figured it out and fixed it already. I had a srew on the back of the bezel (about where 140 is on the speedo) that was hitting the outer part of the dash and not letting the bezel go back any further.
Here's mine, sorry for the crappy quality, it was taken from a cell phone.

BTW, could I see pics of the back of your gauges?

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 142
It's o.k., I've figured it out and fixed it already. I had a srew on the back of the bezel (about where 140 is on the speedo) that was hitting the outer part of the dash and not letting the bezel go back any further.
Here's mine, sorry for the crappy quality, it was taken from a cell phone.
I think I have a problem with the metal supports within the dash itself that would hit the speedo. Have to look further. I'mm working on my rear end and the entire car is jacked up 12", too unsafe to work on the dash right now.

BTW, could I see pics of the back of your gauges?

Here are some photos of the rear gauges with the wires removed and with the stock harness attached. It appears I can run the stock harness with these gauges (I think)

DSC00601.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00601.jpg
    DSC00601.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00432.jpg
    DSC00432.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00602.jpg
    DSC00602.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 70
Thanks, its very similar to how I have mine set up. Now I wish I could remember what I did with the stock harness and backing plate piece. I stashed them somewhere 2 years ago, and I'm wanting to use them now, like you did.

Thanks, its very similar to how I have mine set up. Now I wish I could remember what I did with the stock harness and backing plate piece. I stashed them somewhere 2 years ago, and I'm wanting to use them now, like you did.

Here is my write up on cardomain, if your interested. I haven't yet finished the write up but it gives you the idea. More pictures to the write up as well.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2517204/3

I think you need the metal backing plate to actually secure the pastic bezel and all your gauges to the dash. How did you get yours to secure in place.

While we're on the subject;

I have all new autometer stuff... do I need to hook it up to the voltage regulator? What is it used for? What will happen if I don't?

thx

I did hook up the voltage regulator to the gauges. This is how they will get their power to run the gauge. I believe it supplies 8V and not the 14V the car provides (thus regulating the voltages to the gauges). I don't know what would happen if you hooked up the gauges to a different power source (14V). Hate for too much power to go to them and burn out the guage (that could get expensive!). I have not applied power to the system yet as I need to change the speedo cable behind the gauge cluster as it is worn out (A different thread on asking how to change out the speedo cable soon to come).
I was able to use the stock harness at this point but won't know if it works until I power her up. I am 99% sure the stock harness for the gauges will work thus preventing ALOT of extra wiring work. The only think I have to run new is the Tach as my car did not come with it originally.

I'm thinking about doing this also, what do you have to do about the mileage on the new speedo (legalities). If I ever sold the car I wouldn't want to have to get a salvage title or something. Can you have the swap notorized or possibly match the mileage some how?

I did hook up the voltage regulator to the gauges. This is how they will get their power to run the gauge. I believe it supplies 8V and not the 14V the car provides (thus regulating the voltages to the gauges). I don't know what would happen if you hooked up the gauges to a different power source (14V). Hate for too much power to go to them and burn out the guage (that could get expensive!). I have not applied power to the system yet as I need to change the speedo cable behind the gauge cluster as it is worn out (A different thread on asking how to change out the speedo cable soon to come).
I was able to use the stock harness at this point but won't know if it works until I power her up. I am 99% sure the stock harness for the gauges will work thus preventing ALOT of extra wiring work. The only think I have to run new is the Tach as my car did not come with it originally.

I did this install in September and did not use the CV. I would check with AM before trying this out, the instructions say nothing about needing a regulator and show a 12 volt source for the gauges. I would bet money the AM gauges have an internal regulator, adding the current unit might reduce the voltage enough to keep the gauges from working properly. I did use the fused gauge circuit from the existing harness to power the gauges, pre CV unit, in my harness it was green with black stripe.

597572_99_full.jpg

I did this install in September and did not use the CV. I would check with AM before trying this out, the instructions say nothing about needing a regulator and show a 12 volt source for the gauges. I would bet money the AM gauges have an internal regulator , adding the current unit might reduce the voltage enough to keep the gauges from working properly.

Hmmm. Interesting. Good point. I guess I'll have to experiment.

thinking back: on my '95 Cobra, I installed an AutoMeter Sport Comp tach. They recommended an inline fuse (which I never did)... I ran it straight to a power source as well. Maybe the inline fuse is where the protection should be?