For Anyone Who Has Successfully Hooked Up The Emergency Brake Properly After A 5 Lug Disc Swap....

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
gentleman,

another evening working on the car, and another issue. we successfully installed rear lowering springs, isolators, and shocks. while having everything open we started looking at the emergency brake setup. previous owner did a 5 lug conversion (everything from 99-04 new edge, except front spindles are 94-95). he told me he never hooked up the e brake.... come to find out he completely lied about that for some reason. he def had it hooked up, it just had come done. essentially, I believe the brake cables on the car are from a 99-04. he removed this steel piece and (poorly) mounted it up near the e brake lever. he never made the modification to the handle, and judging by the gouges on my center console near the handle, it got jamm3d up and he had a hard time getting the lever to release and that's why the brake was no longer working.

from LMR I ordered their "87-92 w/ disc" emergency brake hook up kit. the 2 supplied emergency brake lines, essentially utilize all of the factory 92 setup, and the shroud covering the cable is much shorter. i watched their 5 lug disc conversiom video on everything emergency brake relayed (or begins at the 9 min mark). even though they never mentioned it in the video, the fox they are doing it on, has the longer 99-04 cables and it is utizling the steel fabricated piece, which has 2 holes in it and locks the cables in place. (I provided a photo after I removed one of the cables). my question is, do I remove that 99-04 cable mount piece, and use the brake cables I just bought from LMR, which use the 1992 factory mounting locations (pictured), or do I try and use the current setup?? I apologize if this is hard to comprehend, I can relay information much better speaking, as opposed to trying to explain it via typing. any input is appreciated....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170719-234736.jpg
    Screenshot_20170719-234736.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 400
  • Screenshot_20170719-234541.jpg
    Screenshot_20170719-234541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot_20170719-234418.jpg
    Screenshot_20170719-234418.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 389
  • Screenshot_20170719-234635.jpg
    Screenshot_20170719-234635.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 436
  • Sponsors (?)

@Mustang5L5 i know you have some great insight as usual man...
@92Apocalypso
Just a thought here. My '93 Cobra had, I believe, the special rear calipers with provision to apply pistons for parking brake apply. Am I close to the issue here? That scheme necessitated additional fluid sealing technique, something no upstanding heavy duty caliper needed.

Now, my Explorer, 4W discs, uses a rotor on rear with a small, internal drum brake integral with the rotor, a good idea, I think, as caliper piston operation is "unmolested". Could these possibly be used to solve the problem at hand? Cable expands small brake shoes within the "hat" behind the rotor. Parking brakes, after all, need not be capable of hauling down from 100 mph. Just thinkin'. imp

The way he tried to do it mirrors the 1993 cobra setup. Basically that tab was originally riveted to the trans tunnel, and then the cables clipped into it and ran all the way down to the calipers. It does work, but for some reason the original owner didn't get it working properly. He may have put the clip in the wrong spot.

Up to you if you want to try to make it work, or go with the original 1992 cable design, which uses the "footballs" to support the cables.

Page 13 is the start of e-brake setup. Really your choice as to what to use. You still need to mod the e-brake and install the adjustable center cable with both setups. Then it's just a matter of making sure the clip is installed securely enough to hold the cables in place. I would have used pop rivets, but bolts/nuts would work too.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/fms-m-2300-k.pdf

Here's an OEM 1993+ setup
33085650033_large.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The way he tried to do it mirrors the 1993 cobra setup. Basically that tab was originally riveted to the trans tunnel, and then the cables clipped into it and ran all the way down to the calipers. It does work, but for some reason the original owner didn't get it working properly. He may have put the clip in the wrong spot.

Up to you if you want to try to make it work, or go with the original 1992 cable design, which uses the "footballs" to support the cables.

Page 13 is the start of e-brake setup. Really your choice as to what to use. You still need to mod the e-brake and install the adjustable center cable with both setups. Then it's just a matter of making sure the clip is installed securely enough to hold the cables in place. I would have used pop rivets, but bolts/nuts would work too.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/fms-m-2300-k.pdf

Here's an OEM 1993+ setup
33085650033_large.jpg

If you ever make it further south for a show or whatever, Beers on me. You have been super helpful, and I am very thankful sir. Thank you.

As far as which route I choose. Part of me wants to use the current setup, solely because I can return/sell the current parts..... he has everything there that I have in the kit, except for the brackets. I wouldnt mind freeing up $100 to put elsewhere..... essentially it would pay for, at the very least, new quadshocks.