for the Turbo guys

• Sponsors (?)

Here's some of the more major stuff, down pipes, fuel system upgrades (255lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors), feed and return oil lines for turbos, cold side piping/intercooler, blow through maf meter, misc. fittings and flanges to plumb everthing. I'm missing some stuff i'm sure, but these are the most of the major components.

Also if you were going to go with an intercooler or 2 intercoolers. I did a JYTT install on my 91 I had and I did two smaller intercoolers, one for each turbo basically. They were intercoolers from 88 turbo coupe thunerbirds that I got off of ebay for $30 bucks a piece. They worked pretty well and it was pretty cool seeing two intercoolers tucked up by the radiator. Something pretty important to have since the Air charge with a turbo setup is so hott because of the turbo's. Other than that all the big stuff has been hit. If your planning on doing a DIY build with this TT kit make sure your ready for it. Its a big build. I would allocate at least $1500 for just random parts that your going to have to run out to the parts store to buy to make things work. Also don't forget your going to have to tap the oil pan for the oil return for the turbo's. I am not trying to discourage you from building a TT setup but it can be a PITA at times so make sure you do your research and are ready for the build. Good Luck.

I see...this is the stuff that comes with the kit, it ison ebay item #330077010994

and the stuff you see in th epic is the only hting that comes with it. I htink this guy sells the turbo headers and the twin turbos for $700 new. I know i still need some more stuff but I believe these are the major componets right?

Attachments

• twinturbos.jpg
    twinturbos.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 111
Those turbos already have wastegates on them. If you are interested in going turbo, I would highly recommend visiting turbomustangs.com. Register and then just looking around and see what everyone is doing. There are two sections where people do their home built stuff "DIY/Junkyard" and "The Builds." Also, the "Newbie Tech" would probably be quite helpful (no offense). I know for a fact there is a guy on there that bought that exact same kit. He said it looked half-way decent. It's hard to go wrong with TIG welded ceramic coated stainless steel. Just check the flange thickness. As for the turbos, who knows. But, for $700 for the whole gitup, it's hard to go wrong. Heck, I have $500 in my single MP T70.

I see...this is the stuff that comes with the kit, it ison ebay item #330077010994

and the stuff you see in th epic is the only hting that comes with it. I htink this guy sells the turbo headers and the twin turbos for $700 new. I know i still need some more stuff but I believe these are the major componets right?

nice i have the set on my 5.0 moving to 351

I'd stay away from that if at all possible. Maybe not so much the turbines (though they prob wont last long) but the headers will definately be of a low quality and have to be repaired once they crack.

Like some said though get over to turbomustangs.com and start reading.

B&G turbo has some pretty cheap headers that you could use over those with much better results. And IMO you should go single. So much power to be had with a Master Power T70 and you can have a brand new one for ~500 and be MUCH MUCH more reliable (as far as the turbo kit is concerned)

I'd stay away from that if at all possible. Maybe not so much the turbines (though they prob wont last long) but the headers will definately be of a low quality and have to be repaired once they crack.

Like some said though get over to turbomustangs.com and start reading.

B&G turbo has some pretty cheap headers that you could use over those with much better results. And IMO you should go single. So much power to be had with a Master Power T70 and you can have a brand new one for ~500 and be MUCH MUCH more reliable (as far as the turbo kit is concerned)

As a welder with 7 years welding. I say they are ok headers, but I did mod the headers a bit. Yes you can get beater, but you "WILL" spend more. I got the set for $120 after shipping.

As a welder with 7 years welding. I say they are ok headers, but I did mod the headers a bit. Yes you can get beater, but you "WILL" spend more. I got the set for $120 after shipping.

Really? I was under the impression the metal was thinner than most headers no? Of course you will spend more but you will also get what you pay for. If you're just trying to do it on the really cheap, flip the shorty headers.

Are you able to clear the master cylinder with a 3" downpipe with this kit? My buddy had to switch to manual brakes in order to fit a 3". He also had to replace one of the actuators, but that's little stuff

I'm pondering a twin turbo fo rmy 1990 gt.
what else am I missing from this list to make this work?

--
(1) 2 x T3/T4 Flange GT28RS Turbo Charger.

(2) Internal Wastegate

(3) 2 Turbo Manifolds

I love turbos on 4 cylinder high reving light cars. BUT you are leaving off the larger fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, water and oil lines, intercooler and of course a new computer to run all these things properly. Your stock driveline won't handle this kind of power either.

Why wouldn't you just go to nitrous or a supercharger for the same net lowend/midrange HP and less money? You can install a supercharger with underdrive pulleys in a day that is compatible with your existing systems. And there are no lag or heat issues. If you want the car faster remove weight.

To do this turbo thing right you have to lower the compression to allow for the high pressures up to 20psi developed with a big turbo(s). You need better heads, headgasket, pistons, rods, crank, oil cooler and a really strong block to do this. A stock block and headgasket can only reliably handle 6psi boost.

You must have way too much money.

I love turbos on 4 cylinder high reving light cars. BUT you are leaving off the larger fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, water and oil lines, intercooler and of course a new computer to run all these things properly. Your stock driveline won't handle this kind of power either.

Why wouldn't you just go to nitrous or a supercharger for the same net lowend/midrange HP and less money? You can install a supercharger with underdrive pulleys in a day that is compatible with your existing systems. And there are no lag or heat issues. If you want the car faster remove weight.

To do this turbo thing right you have to lower the compression to allow for the high pressures up to 20psi developed with a big turbo(s). You need better heads, headgasket, pistons, rods, crank, oil cooler and a really strong block to do this. A stock block and headgasket can only reliably handle 6psi boost.

You must have way too much money.

Let's not forget other misc items such as couplers, clamps, fasteners etc.

In the short term, it's tough to beat the bang for the buck when it comes to nitrous. A supercharger though is going to cost a bit more and will not come with common turbo items such as an intercooler or good BOV. Also, unless your talking about a KB supercharger…a centri is not going to even come close to touching the low end on a turbo. Plus they come with the disadvantage of putting extra stress on the snout of the crank…and also rob more h/p than a turbo setup.

As far as lag goes…a properly sized turbo is not going to have much at all. I for example reach full boost by 2500 rpm and hold it until redline. A centri supercharger is not going to reach full boost until redline and will not produce nearly the "fat" h/p and torque curve of a proper turbo setup. While underhood temps may increase a bit…as long as your cooling system is up to par (fresh fluids, non corroded radiator) it's a non-issue.

There is no need to lower the compression for a stock 5.0 block…nor is there any need to run 20psi of boost. Any decent h/c/I turbo setup is going to be running block splitting horsepower (500rwhp) with relatively low boost levels (~10psi or less). Although new headgaskets and head studs are greatly recommended…the stock internals will hold the boost just fine. An oil cooler really isn't necessary…but can be beneficial even without a turbo setup.

FYI, the stock block is not limited by boost…but by the stress associated with torque and rpm. There are plenty of guys running 12psi+ of boost on stock longblocks laying down great numbers (400+rwhp).

One more tidbit of info…I pieced together my own kit for ~ $1700 including MAF and injectors. Sure the turbo's were used, but a they worked great none the less. You just have to be frugal and keep an eye out of good deals.

yea not everybody has the dough for a 4 bolt block and 20 lbs of boost, listen to millhouse he's giving legitmate advise that is 100 percent correct, filter out some of the other advise that does not fall in line with his, as it is not accurate and assumes that you have bottomless pockets

In the short term, it's tough to beat the bang for the buck when it comes to nitrous.
One more tidbit of info…I pieced together my own kit for ~ $1700 including MAF and injectors. Sure the turbo's were used, but a they worked great none the less. You just have to be frugal and keep an eye out of good deals.

Millhouse you are one in 500 guys who can engineer and wrench a system together that works. This person needs someone like you to build his system for him:D He needs to go really slow or have very deep pockets.

Millhouse you are one in 500 guys who can engineer and wrench a system together that works. This person needs someone like you to build his system for him:D He needs to go really slow or have very deep pockets.

I understand not everyone is up to building there own system...but we all need to start somewhere.

Your absolutely right though…he'll need to take it slow. Tons of research, looking for proper components, fabricating etc. Make no mistake, it took me the a few months worth of full weekends to build everything…and far…far more time to collect all the goodies I needed.