Ford 8.8 Rear end how strong is it??

Skydog

Jan 1, 2004
Hi guys i have a 2000 Ls1 that i am putting a 8.8 rear end in. It just has 28 spline axes and a Ford posi. and a T/A cover. How does this rear ends hold up? I have heard good stuff about it!
Will it last? I have 500+HP to the wheels.
Thank you Skydog

• Sponsors (?)

With slicks and high rpm launches the 28 spline axles may not last long with 500 rwhp. If it just a street car you will be okay. If you are going to using slicks 31 spline are recommended.....but people use 28s and get away with it but keep a tow truck # in your pocket just in case.....

theres no way that 346 is making 500+ with just a 100 shot. Because thats like 600 at the fly with just a cam, factory heads and an LS6 intake. And why are you dropping an 8.8 in it? Why not use a 9. Your rearend is just as strong as an 8.8. If you are using an 8.8 use forged 31 spline axles even though 3 splines doesnt make much difference. The strength comes from better forged material. Use a rearend cover girdle, and a good auburn locker. I'm making 550 and my rearend holds up fine.

SmockDoiley said:
theres no way that 346 is making 500+ with just a 100 shot. Because thats like 600 at the fly with just a cam, factory heads and an LS6 intake. And why are you dropping an 8.8 in it? Why not use a 9. Your rearend is just as strong as an 8.8. If you are using an 8.8 use forged 31 spline axles even though 3 splines doesnt make much difference. The strength comes from better forged material. Use a rearend cover girdle, and a good auburn locker. I'm making 550 and my rearend holds up fine.

Agreed about the rearend....but he would be close to 500. Lets say he lays down 300 stock..100 shot would make 375...plus all his free mods would make 400 rwhp....Then the cam and intake say 50 or so...thats 450+...Not 500 but close give or take. Thats just me. Those ls1s make good power

I'm not saying they dont make good power. In fact, more people should supe those things up. But the downfall is crazy expensive insurance, small aftermarket with very expensive parts, and the cars are heavy. Now for the math; what is 500+? Maybe 515? Lets make 515 at the wheels and add 15% powertrain loss especially due to that heavy ass T56. That puts him at 586 to the flywheel. Now out of the factory with no wear they put 300-320 to the fly depending on tune and Z28 or SS. That said, if we subtract the 100 shot, he added 186 horses to the fly by changing the cam, intake, cold air intake, exhaust, and some cheap free stuff like maybe ice on the intake, a short belt, and timing. It takes a little more than that to get power like that. Like porting the heads, and I doubt the stock fuel system could support close to 600 horses to the fly. Id like to see the dyno sheets.

Man you guys are funny! My car put down 320 to the wheels with just a Borla muffler! Stock headers and cats!
The TR230 cam made 40 HP the LS6 intake made 20HP the Headers and y-pipe made 30Hp and the Nos 100HP
The numbers are at the wheels! Any way no time yet i blew the 10 bolt. The stock heads rock on the Ls1! One more thing my injectors are at 90% duty cly. that is the next mod! :)

Thank you Skydog P.S. I have no reason to lie! Go to Ls1.com and have a look at TONS of Ls1s with same mods with about the same hp! Mine just made GREAT power stock most are about 290-300 to the wheels.
Yes my car is a M6 so the put down better numbers than a Auto.

Skydog said:
Man you guys are funny! My car put down 320 to the wheels with just a Borla muffler! Stock headers and cats!
The TR230 cam made 40 HP the LS6 intake made 20HP the Headers and y-pipe made 30Hp and the Nos 100HP
The numbers are at the wheels! Any way no time yet i blew the 10 bolt. The stock heads rock on the Ls1! One more thing my injectors are at 90% duty cly. that is the next mod! :)

Thank you Skydog P.S. I have no reason to lie! Go to Ls1.com and have a look at TONS of Ls1s with same mods with about the same hp! Mine just made GREAT power stock most are about 290-300 to the wheels.

I believed you..I know the LS1s make the power when modified. I ve been on the ls1 site a few times just looking around. I like the chevys also....i actually have a S-10 with a smallblock in it. My father built it and we both drive it. Its nuts. I am not biased. I just love power and quick cars. I would like to see some times on the SS with some traction.

Well im going to have to say that if you plan to put in a 8.8 in your F-body you are wasting your time atleast with the stock axles. I have a 01 Z28 that is currently under construction and i recently purchased a currie fabricated 9" for it because im not going to trust anythign else to the power its going to make. (Combination Motorsports 427ci LS6 with Vortech V9 G-Trim) Also there was a comment about the GM 10 bolt being as strong as the ford 8.8, thats false, its no where near as stong. The GM 10 bolt is a piece of crap. I know alot more about GM then Ford, ive been a GM person all my life, im new to mustangs. But im catching on very quickly, not to much of a difference .

Skydog said:

are those longtubes? is that on a dynojet? sounds like your making some great numbers with stock heads :nice: my buddy put stage 2 heads and that cam on his SS, everything else stock(besides a lid) he made 350rwhp, stock he made 290rwhp, we just put longtubes on, man did that open her up :nice:

Yes, there are parts for those things but its still behind. Look at heads. How many companies are making heads for the LS1? There must be at least 10 companies making heads for Fords. And the price is insane for those parts. Anyways, like I said and like he said, dont waste your time with an 8.8, just get the 9 inch. Your going to spend just a little more for it, but those things can hold 1000 horses or more if built right, plenty for you.