Ford hates their customers..........

I am getting tired of reading about Ford hassling their customers about warranty work after they spent $30-40000+ on a vehicle. I took my 2012 in today to have the Sync software reloaded. Sync worked fine since the day I bought the car......until I loaded the update that was posted on syncmyride.com (what a stupid name for this site).:mad:

Since the update voice recognition has been completely erratic and non functional. I will say call Dionne and it will responded 'call Tina'? Try again same contact request.....and sync responds 'call BofA'. Give up and try to request a different contact and again it almost seems to select contacts at random and dials. The ironic thing is this update was supposed to fix voice recognition.

Now since I have the car at the dealership I have been getting calls all day long from the service advisor giving me one excuse after another. My phone is not compatible, my contacts are not structured correctly or anything else they can come up with to avoid actually re-flashing the board. Funny thing is everything worked fine before the update. Same phone, same contact database, same speaker, same voice. I even told the service advisor to just get me the older version of the software the vehicle was delivered with and I will load it myself. And of course they refused. They want me to pay $105.00 to load the old version that actually worked.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is not the end of the world. At least the tranny or #8 cylinder has not blown up.....yet. I just don't like the tone Ford is taking regarding warranty work. You begin to feel like after the purchase you are on your own.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Question for you if the old version worked why did you DL the new version? Did you really read SYNCmyride.com? Did you actually notice there are only about 25 phones that are 100% compatible or that files do need a certain structure and/or format? Do you have bootleg files on iPod/MP3 players that can corrupt the system?

Question for you if the old version worked why did you DL the new version? Did you really read SYNCmyride.com? Did you actually notice there are only about 25 phones that are 100% compatible or that files do need a certain structure and/or format? Do you have bootleg files on iPod/MP3 players that can corrupt the system?

Gotta read the fine print.;) Funny how none of that info made it into the original post.

I know it must seem strange but in IT you keep up with updates to software and firmware because the developers do release bug fixes and improvements. Don't you apply Windows updates even when your computer is running fine?:rolleyes:

As for the compatibility list if you look at it carefully you will notice it has not been updated in probably a year or more or is it no phone released in the last year is compatible with Sync. The list states an HTC EVO 4G is compatible. I have an HTC EVO 3D which is the latest update to the 4G.

And to answer your final question I do not store music on my phone. I have a 64Gb iPod Touch that handles that task. The update did not effect the iPod operation. To sum this up the only thing that changed was the software version. Everything that is currently in place was in place and working prior to the update.

After playing with it a bit further I have found it is pronouncing some of my contacts differently than it did before. The update changed the diction of the speech recognition engine. If I say the contact the way Sync pronounces it it will recognize the contact. The problem is the contact is not pronounced correctly. Dionne is now pronounced and recognized as Dioonni.

I know it must seem strange but in IT you keep up with updates to software and firmware because the developers do release bug fixes and improvements. Don't you apply Windows updates even when your computer is running fine?:rolleyes:

As for the compatibility list if you look at it carefully you will notice it has not been updated in probably a year or more or is it no phone released in the last year is compatible with Sync. The list states an HTC EVO 4G is compatible. I have an HTC EVO 3D which is the latest update to the 4G.

And to answer your final question I do not store music on my phone. I have a 64Gb iPod Touch that handles that task. The update did not effect the iPod operation. To sum this up the only thing that changed was the software version. Everything that is currently in place was in place and working prior to the update.

After playing with it a bit further I have found it is pronouncing some of my contacts differently than it did before. The update changed the diction of the speech recognition engine. If I say the contact the way Sync pronounces it it will recognize the contact. The problem is the contact is not pronounced correctly. Dionne is now pronounced and recognized as Dioonni.

1: Bug fixes correct but you SYNC according to you wasn't broken, and no I don't run windows updates because I use a Mac no need to update because their stuff doesn't crash. :D
2: No if it's not on the list it's not compatible, I've had to have customer go downgrade phone when possible to be compatible.
3: As for your iPod, you neglected to mention if you have a bootleg songs.... no one is going to fine you here ;) but if it's not properly structured then it becomes a problem
4: As for speech issue, I've seen, used, updated every version of SYNC gen 1 and MyTouch and never has it EVER changed any recognition or pronunciation. You sure the update was done correctly?

You do realize that your dealership's service department is not "Ford" any more than Sears' jeans department is Levi's, right?

The dealer could not get authorization from 'FORD' to perform any work as stated in the original post. If he was not talking to Ford then I would like you to tell me who he was talking to. An as an aside since it keeps coming up I buy all my music on CD, rip to mp3 at 320kbps and store the archive on an enterprise level RAID 1 NAS running iTunes server that sits on gigabit Ethernet. 30Gb of music and growing. As I said before, never had and issue with the music.

Back to original post

1. I have about 6 Ford dealers within 30 miles of my house and a couple have lousy customer service, but for the most part they are just typical dealers.

2. I DO NOT update software just because there's a newer version. Most of the time new bugs will appear. Let other people install the updates and wait for a while.

I've found that a Dealership is only as good as its people. Each Dealer
probably has some people that are a complete ass and others that are awesome. When I bought my 06 I first contacted a used car salesman
at my favorite Ford Dealership by Phone....... he was such an ass that I
told him no thanks. Went there the next day and met a really cool salesman
who ended up getting me an unbelievable deal. The other guy found out,
since I had given him my name. And dumbass wanted a cut of the profit
just because he had talked to me first....:rlaugh: Its the individuals you
talk to..... not the Dealership as a whole.

You can divide a dealership in to 3 different catagories as a consumer.. Sales, Parts, and Service. Some have butthead sales staff yet the parts and service departments are great. Some have decent sales people and the parts department is an ass. Find the one that fits your needs.

Fact is Ford has some problems with Sync.
I have a 2010 Mustang and an iPod that works perfectly with it. Never a problem.
The same iPod sometimes works and sometimes doesn't in my wife's 2011 Fusion.
I have an HTC phone that works perfectly with my Mustang. My wife has the same model phone that will not work in her car.
I have never tried my phone with her car so I don't know if it would work or not.
Seems strange to me that the older Sync works perfectly and the newer does not. Her software has been updated. Did not solve the problem.
I am not an idiot when it comes to phones, iPods and computers and such. the problem IS with Sync, not my devices or me.
My dealer has done his best to solve the problem, and I do not think Ford hates its customers. My dealer does acknowledge that the Sync problem exists on many models and said he gets complaints on a daily basis.

I am getting tired of reading about Ford hassling their customers about warranty work after they spent $30-40000+ on a vehicle. I took my 2012 in today to have the Sync software reloaded. Sync worked fine since the day I bought the car......until I loaded the update that was posted on syncmyride.com (what a stupid name for this site).:mad:

Since the update voice recognition has been completely erratic and non functional. I will say call Dionne and it will responded 'call Tina'? Try again same contact request.....and sync responds 'call BofA'. Give up and try to request a different contact and again it almost seems to select contacts at random and dials. The ironic thing is this update was supposed to fix voice recognition.

Now since I have the car at the dealership I have been getting calls all day long from the service advisor giving me one excuse after another. My phone is not compatible, my contacts are not structured correctly or anything else they can come up with to avoid actually re-flashing the board. Funny thing is everything worked fine before the update. Same phone, same contact database, same speaker, same voice. I even told the service advisor to just get me the older version of the software the vehicle was delivered with and I will load it myself. And of course they refused. They want me to pay $105.00 to load the old version that actually worked.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is not the end of the world. At least the tranny or #8 cylinder has not blown up.....yet. I just don't like the tone Ford is taking regarding warranty work. You begin to feel like after the purchase you are on your own.:shrug:

For what it's worth...

I'm with ya. It shouldn't be like pulling teeth to get service covered that is necessary as a result of their garbage update.

If they were going to put an update out there, then they should have done their homework first. It's one thing to say something to the effect of, "My device X doesn't work anymore with the new update" (you can't feasibly program a device to be compatible with everything under the sun) vs. Their device (Sync) doesn't work anymore due to their update.

Your description sounds to me, like the latter. It's the Ford built device that you updated and now it's the Ford built device that is malfunctioning (not the device that you're trying to link to it).

The way I see it, the Ford update screwed up the Ford built device so they need to stand behind their garbage and at a minimum, restore it to its previous functionality until they're able to come up with an update that doesn't suck.

First off let me just say l'm sorry to hear about your frustrating situation. Secondly l love how so many posts make you out to be the bad guy as if you either did something wrong or are just plain stupid :notnice: Why do you have to defend your original post? :shrug: My SYNC system has brought me both joy and frustration(I feel your pain), so lets try and actually help you. Sounds to me like the update screwed up the voice recognition function. My advice is to go in to the menu -> feedback settings -> manage voice profiles and delete the original voice profile. Make a new voice profile and hopefully that'll solve the problem. Might even want to try a master reset. If all else fails try to get in touch with Stangnet member FordCustSrvc (Natasha), she's great and will actually help reconcile your problem :nice: Good luck!