Ford Motorsports Subframes

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Anybody use the Ford Motorsports subframe connectors model number M-5478-K? I cant seem to find any pictures or information on them. I had bought the MM full length ones but they wont work for my Cobra because of the tranny crossmember so I sold them to my friend. I can get the Ford ones for 45 bucks new in the box and wanted to know if they are any good. Does anyone have any pictures of them or know how long they are? Are they tubular or boxed? Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Part Number Changed To M-5478-B.

Package Dimensions: 7.50H x 7.50W x 42.00D
Weight: 15.00#
Catalog Page: 144
Instruction Sheet: Click here to view the parts instruction sheet.
Warranty Available: No

M-5478-D 1,5 Fits 1979-93 Mustang (Bolt-on Design)
M-5478-D 2 Fits 1994-04 Mustang (Weld-on Design)
M-5478-J 2,3,4 Fits 1979-04Mustang (Weld-on Design)

Strengthens chassis for extra traction

Improves handling
NOTES:
1 Nuts and bolts included (M-5478-B).
2 Will not fit 1996-98 Cobra without modification.
3 M-5478-J HD “Double-Cross” design distributes loads over more of the body structure.
4 To use on convertible, must remove 3" from the front.
5 Does not fit convertible.

Hope It Helps Some

Edit: They Look Tubular. Here Is FRPP Product Website http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1659

Thanks, but no that does not help :( These ones are discontinued and are not bolt in. Also they are specificaly for the 96-98 Cobra and install with no modifications. The ones you found are for GT and LX models.

Yeah, just the 96-98 Cobras. I did not want to modify my crosmember and the Ford pieces are drop in units. I am still undecided, the place has one left and its on ebay. Cost is $45 and shipping is $30 and they are new in box or N.O.S. I know we cant post ebay links but they are easy enough to find.

Yeah, just the 96-98 Cobras. I did not want to modify my crosmember and the Ford pieces are drop in units. I am still undecided, the place has one left and its on ebay. Cost is $45 and shipping is $30 and they are new in box or N.O.S. I know we cant post ebay links but they are easy enough to find.

Couldn't find it, post it up

My Mach 1 came stock with bolt in subframes...They were pretty thin & crappy though...I hope these arent the ones your looking into?

I wouldnt waste my $$$ on these....

heres a pic....
DSCN1693.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1693.jpg
    DSCN1693.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 99
Yeah, IDK if they look like that or not the ad says weld in so they are prolly different. Thats why I posted this because I wanted to see if anyone DID know what they look like. The ad on ebay, just type mustang subframe and click search and it will come up under ebay stores (bottom of page) and you will see the ad say 96-98 Cobra subfame connectors and they are buy it now for $45.

quit dickin' around and order the MM subframes.

Sold them already, they dont fit without molesting the tranny x-member. IDK how the GTs are but the Cobra transmition cross member goes across where the subframe goes and the x-member would loose its strength if I cut it up to fit the subframe. I would wrather get a specific one. Steeda makes a nice one and so does ken brown. I just found a Ford Motorsports one for cheep and need to know if its any good? I guess at $45 I will give it a shot:shrug:

Sold them already, they dont fit without molesting the tranny x-member. IDK how the GTs are but the Cobra transmition cross member goes across where the subframe goes and the x-member would loose its strength if I cut it up to fit the subframe. I would wrather get a specific one. Steeda makes a nice one and so does ken brown. I just found a Ford Motorsports one for cheep and need to know if its any good? I guess at $45 I will give it a shot:shrug:

You cut the member brace brackets and weld them to the sub frame connectors, simple as that

I just put the MM sfc's on my '98 Cobra. The transmission crossmember does interfere a little, but like someone else said, nothing a couple of minutes with a cutoff wheel won't fix. Once the sfc's are welded in, just weld the crossmember to it and it will be STRONGER than before, not weaker. The center section of the crossmember can still be removed if you need to pull the transmission, so there's no downside at all. Here's a picture of what I am talking about (sorry about crappy cell phone quality):

You can see one of the bolts holding the center section of the crossmember in at the top of the pic. There is a similar one on the other side. Get/keep the MM's! :nice:

Regards,
John.

Dont you understand that MM does Extensive research on there products and designed there Subframes to be the best...they why they designed the crossmember to weld to the subframe to make everything stronger.

The $45 subframes are POS and wont do anything...your a loser if you dont buy the MM's again

Dont you understand that MM does Extensive research on there products and designed there Subframes to be the best...they why they designed the crossmember to weld to the subframe to make everything stronger.

The $45 subframes are POS and wont do anything...your a loser if you dont buy the MM's again

Harsh mang:nonono: Do you work for MM?:D Sounds like you dont like factory performance parts from Ford:shrug: I know the MM's are good and have used them SEVERAL times before. It looked like I could not remove the brace to drop the tranny once the MM were welded in, but after looking at the picture and seeing where the bolts are located I guess I will order another one. I sold it for $120, so I am only out the gas money to go get another one at Late Model.