Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro go flat out in the flats

MRaburn

Founder
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
The clash of the titans continues to ring onward.* The latest test of muscle and strength has been compiled by the tech-heads over at Popular Mechanics, pitting our famed Ford Mustang against the [evil] Chevrolet Camaro in an all-out, no holds barred, speed test.* The venue: Bonneville Salt Flats.* The challenge: crank it to 11 [...]

Check out more on our Blog...

• Sponsors (?)

I watched on SPEED last night an episode of "Battle of the Supercars" that featured a 1000HP 2010 GT-500 vs a 1000HP T-Turbo 2010 Camaro. There were four races

0 - 100 - 0 that ended up in a tie, the Camaro accelerated quicker but the GT-500 stopped quicker.

60 - 130 Where the GT-500 blew past the Camaro at about 110mph mark

A road course where the Camaro one by 1 second because the GT-500 driver is a "drifter" so his drifting did not work

The last race was standing start speed run to a distance of 1 mile, even thought the Camaro got the jump again at around the 1/4 mile mark the GT-500 blew past the Camaro up top to seal the win

I would have personally liked to see the 2011 5.0 Vs. the Camaro SS in that same situation. They should keep it within the same price and power range. 426hp vs 412hp is more reasonable given they are similar priced and powered. The next race should be when the Z28 comes out vs the GT500. Thats rumored to be 556hp, so the GT500 at 550 would be an ideal race.

I watched on SPEED last night an episode of "Battle of the Supercars" that featured a 1000HP 2010 GT-500 vs a 1000HP T-Turbo 2010 Camaro. There were four races

0 - 100 - 0 that ended up in a tie, the Camaro accelerated quicker but the GT-500 stopped quicker.

60 - 130 Where the GT-500 blew past the Camaro at about 110mph mark

A road course where the Camaro one by 1 second because the GT-500 driver is a "drifter" so his drifting did not work

The last race was standing start speed run to a distance of 1 mile, even thought the Camaro got the jump again at around the 1/4 mile mark the GT-500 blew past the Camaro up top to seal the win

both badass cars no doubt. :nice:

from what i've read on the camaro boards, the camaro on there wasn't done being tuned when the did the show, and it was rushed (excuses i know, i'm just stating what i've read)

honestly though IMO, after THAT much work has gone into any car...theres is no point in comparing them beyond appreciation of a well modded car.

+1 I agree totally

+2 Saw the episode as well and though it was cool to see some high hp cars duking it out, the other episodes with stock cars (Zr1 vs Viper and GTR vs 911 turbo) were much more evenly balanced and seemed like more legit concrete numbers.

There is so much that can go wrong or variables that can't be accounted for with both of those super high hp cars.

It looked like they were changing the pulley or something on the GT500 for the top speed run too.

It's a mildly entertaining show though. I watch top gear when i want to see a real car show :D