Ford Racing Headers

Bob F

May 14, 2015
Roscoe IL
Anyone running Ford Racing shorty headers? I like using Ford Racing parts cause I know they will fit (that's why I used thier 4.10 and rear diff girdle). I know BBK, MAC, and a few others are good but I have never known anyone or even heard of anyone running them. My plan is shorty header, 2.5 inch BBK catted h pipe, and 2.5 inch flowmaster kit running all the way back. Also how much hp and torque can I expect with this set up? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought my last mustang and it had FR headers. They lasted the 10 years I had them and still looked good when I sold it.

What other mods are done to your car? You'll gain more hp/tq with other complementing mods.

Shorty headers of any make/brand don't really add any hp. Maybe 5-10 over stock. Unless you're adding significant power mods(h/c/i-forced induction etc) and then you would be better served with long tube headers. I've ran the ford shorty's in the past and they fit well. I don't even remember what brand is coming off my car(I'm going long tubes).

They are the best shorty headers- period. I have them on my car and on several others over the years. Get the ceramic coated if you can afford them.

That being said- maybe 10 hp increase. Shorty headers are more for sound and looks.

Reactions: 1 user
They are the best shorty headers- period. I have them on my car and on several others over the years. Get the ceramic coated if you can afford them.

That being said- maybe 10 hp increase. Shorty headers are more for sound and looks.

^ This exactly. I've run MAC shorty headers in the past.....and they were poop. Very prone to leakage at the flange and are near impossible to get back into place after they've been heat cycled a few times. Their HTC (high temperature coating) burned off almost immediately as well and they really looked awful. I have the ceramic coated BBK's (long tubes) on my car now and although they offer a performance advantage to the shorty's, they don't fit exactly perfect either and tend to hang a little lower and have a tenancy to make contact with speed bumps and low driveway angles if you're not careful. The ceramic does seem to be holding up alright....but I've also got them wrapped.

I've never met a single person who's EVER complained about the quality of fitments of their Ford Racing shorty's. If I could do it over again, I would probably have installed a set of them.

Thanks guys, i have already made up my mind, I'm gonna get the Ford Racing shortys. I'm figuring with them and the rest of it listed earlier I will get 15-20 hp? It's not only about that, it's also the great sound but also a good foundation for future mods.

Thanks guys, i have already made up my mind, I'm gonna get the Ford Racing shortys. I'm figuring with them and the rest of it listed earlier I will get 15-20 hp? It's not only about that, it's also the great sound but also a good foundation for future mods.
As far hp numbers maybe 10-15.

Thats been done 1000's of times and will work well. I prefer Mac Flowpath mufflers as they dont have the drone.

I've gotta question your hearing Mike? Unless Mac has changed the design of their "Flowpath" muffler in the last 15-years, they've always droned on as loud as any 40-series Flowmaster's I've ever heard?

I've tried almost a dozen different mufflers over the years and your only way to get rid of the drone is to stick with a stock exhaust.

Current set up is BBK LT's, O/R X-pipe and Borla ProXS mufflers through LX tails. Sounds great and much easier to live with than a chambered muffler design like the Flow's or Mac's.
The Borla ProXS mufflers seem to be about as drone minimal as I've heard on a Fox body (though I've heard the Dynomax Ultra-Flo mufflers are pretty quiet as well). Converters will help minimize it too.

I've gotta question your hearing Mike? Unless Mac has changed the design of their "Flowpath" muffler in the last 15-years, they've always droned on as loud as any 40-series Flowmaster's I've ever heard?

I've tried almost a dozen different mufflers over the years and your only way to get rid of the drone is to stick with a stock exhaust.

Current set up is BBK LT's, O/R X-pipe and Borla ProXS mufflers through LX tails. Sounds great and much easier to live with than a chambered muffler design like the Flow's or Mac's.
The Borla ProXS mufflers seem to be about as drone minimal as I've heard on a Fox body (though I've heard the Dynomax Ultra-Flo mufflers are pretty quiet as well). Converters will help minimize it too.

Dunno- bought these about a year ago- SS ones- and they do not have that drone at 2000 rpm that the flowmasters I replaced had. They are a bit louder when you get on it . Now mine is a vert so maybe the other noises drown it out, but to me it is noticeable.

If this is just a toy and if you plan on heads/cam/intake and/or forced induction down he road why not throw some long tube headers on it? As far as mufflers go I like the flowmasters or DynoMax mufflers(the flowmasters definetly drone more)

I get the part about the top end breathing better, but I always base my mods/upgrades on more then just horsepower per dollar. If that was all I cared about then I would just spray a 100 shot of Nos (which I still might do). My philosophy is to buy the best quality I can afford and do things like headers and exhaust that will enhance future mods, while giving me the sound and SOME extra horsepower. I have also done a lot of suspension mods cause I like it to be fun to drive on curves as well as a straight line!

Jumped in at this point. Im installing on my coyote BBK LT and catted X - 3" Rear is Dynomax Ultraflow 2.5 We're gonna change the muffler
x pipe connection to 3 inch welded at a good muffler shop. So 3 inch w/ ball/clamp...

Im hoping for close to factory quiet with some added umph. Straight thru otr bbk x midpipe no cat back test run yest was to say the least head turning. ..

Ill report back next week when all the exhaust is hooked up etc.

Ill leave this here: BBK LT vs Coyote shorties (which are pretty big themselves).

I am concerned about ground clearance with the LT and 3" catted X pipe
headers.JPG