Ford Racing P Headers...What's the difference???

Duncan McDougal

Aug 17, 2005
Gainesville, FL
Which one of these headers pictured are the right headers? They are both the same model number but the pictures are different on the JEGS and FordRacing websites. Is it a mistake or did ford change the design again?

JEGS:
397M9430P50.jpg

Ford Racing:
M9430P50_b.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Could be one is for '79-93 and one is for '94-95, but that's just a guess. I would say one is stainless and one isn't but that doesn't explain the differences in tube placement. Just by looking at them i would think the black ones are the right ones because they look as if they would come out further from the heads (which is the point of "P" headers, so they clear the plugs). However, the collector angle on the black ones does look funny.

They are the same exact headers. You are just looking at them from different angles....Trust me. Spin the bottom one down a little so the flange is pointing straight up and the top tube will look longer, and the bottom will look shorter, its just an illusion.

I just remember there's a difference in the flange style for '94-95 so that's not it.

Mob, look at the #7 primary on the driver's side header....they're clearly different between the two pics. No angle changes needed :D

I was under the impression that pretty much all of Ford Racing's headers were stainless, not painted black. The ones i've seen were top notch parts to...awesome welds, flawless fit. If i ever go back to shorties that's what i'll be using.

The pictures are definitely different, you can tell that. The "P" headers are going to come straight off of the flange more to clearance the different angled spark plugs from the "P" heads, that's the reason there are even "P" headers in the first place.

Yeah, you are right 85_ss they do look different. My guess is the bottom pic is a generic pictures because they do not come in black. I dont know what you are worried about though,if it says P headers for 87-93 mustangs it will fit, regardless of what the picture looks like.

Heres my P headers.
1000844.jpg

I was under the impression that pretty much all of Ford Racing's headers were stainless, not painted black. The ones i've seen were top notch parts to...awesome welds, flawless fit. If i ever go back to shorties that's what i'll be using.

I'd go ceramic coated personally. I've installed a few sets and they were the best shorty header i've ever worked with.

I'm gonna ditch my BBK's for a nice set of P ceramics soon

11253lg.jpg

For a while FRPP made two types of headers. One for E7 and GT40 heads and another set for the P heads. It was a couple of years ago. They finally got smart and now make just the ones for the P heads since they will work with E7s or GT40s.

I have a set of Ceramic coated FRPP headers for my P headed combo and they are pushing 5 years old and all I have to do is wipe them down with some neverdull and they shine right back up.

I know that guys have make different headers "work" for the P heads but I am willing to spend a little extra and get a set of headers that I don't have to fight with when wrenching on the car.

Not to derail but does anyone know if Ford makes their own long tubes? I've never seen a set but i imagine if they made some they would be top notch. I'd love to get some nice fitting solid flange stainless long tubes WITH ceramic coating...just for double insurance.

For a while FRPP made two types of headers. One for E7 and GT40 heads and another set for the P heads. It was a couple of years ago. They finally got smart and now make just the ones for the P heads since they will work with E7s or GT40s.

This is the case with the pictures I posted. It seems that ford racing has not changed the picture on their website to the new style header. The one pictured on the jegs site is the M-9430-P50 (correct gt40p header) and the header pictured on the ford racing site is the older M-9430-SSC that was replaced by the P header. :nice:

I also came across these handy little sockets for tight header clearance.
View attachment 258959
$48 for Two

This is the case with the pictures I posted. It seems that ford racing has not changed the picture on their website to the new style header. The one pictured on the jegs site is the M-9430-P50 (correct gt40p header) and the header pictured on the ford racing site is the older M-9430-SSC that was replaced by the P header. :nice:

I also came across these handy little sockets for tight header clearance.
400-POW301150.jpg

$48 for Two

......or you could use a wrench like normal people and save yourself 50 bucks! :nice: lol