Administrative Ford Super Duty Axle Recall - Read and Pass Along

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like the recall is specifically addressing weld fatigue failure on the spring perch to axle tube connection and nothing about the actual axle tube crushing. Interesting they decided to thin the tubing thickness out of that area last year. I'm a little suspicious of that guy that says he crushed his axle tube without overloading the truck, or doing something else stupid. That axle would have to be quite thin to crush without a reason. I can def. see where the combination of a thinner axle tube on a 1000+ ft/lb 3/4-1 ton truck could cause weld fatigue issues in that area though.

@General karthief I agree, I would've expected the u-bolts to be loose if it just crushed. Really, only in the one picture did the tube look to be possibly crushed to me, but that could have been an illusion. I went and looked at my 250 and it looks about the same (minus the leak!)

I'll bet the fix is to weld plates between the top and bottom mounts so that it doesn't crush the crunchy Chinese candy shell. :O_o:

Even if crushed, it shouldn't leak. If it is brittle and cracks well... That's a different matter and I'm not so sure their fix is gonna fix it. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
They should just replace the whole axle IMO, no matter what the root cause. No reason to cheap out on a truck that costs as much as these do.

• PlusOne
They should just replace the whole axle IMO, no matter what the root cause. No reason to cheap out on a truck that costs as much as these do.

Yeah... That's pretty much my assessment too. It's another one of those self-licking ice-cream cones.

They made a product that included one or more of the following:

shoddy engineering - just look at the geniuses that are produced today :rolleyes: Seriously, it's been two generations of innovation void. All they can do is suggest an "App" for your cell phone or re-create something that's already been done

poor materials - lowest bidder

defective materials - lowest bidder

If it's a case where they redesigned the new axle assemblies to 'save manufacturing costs' then they've once again screwed the pooch. They could have saved all of that R&D money by using materials and assemblies that have been proven over and over... and over. You would think that they'd give some of these rocket scientists a few days off and save some money after seeing truck enthusiasts put 2000-something horsepower through one of their previous axles. I dunno... Seems to me like some pointy head someplace might look at that and say, "Holy crap. We can just put that bulletproof piece that we can already make, into the new trucks". But noooooooooooope. Some 3D modeling kool-aide head that's never held a wrench has a 'new' idea. :doh:

Some of you guys might remember the days when Ford made cars so well that you could pack a couple hundred more horses into it and live to tell the tale after beating on it like it owed you money.

200 horse and 300 ft/lbs? Meh... I think it'll take more. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Like the plastic industries, they have found that shaving a few millimeters or nano- meters on the thickness of an object will save a few pennies per unit, multiply those few pennies by several million and the savings grow, well until you have a failure like this,

I wonder how this truck’s axles are?
59D2F8A1-D467-4C64-A995-6874C89EBE38.jpeg

• Surprised