ford vs chevy

• Sponsors (?)

well back in the day yes......being they don't build the 302 anymore...

now, i will say, the 5.0stangs did some major whoopin on the80's early 90's chevs......chevy used the 305 in some stuff, and their de-tuned 350's inheavier cars gave the 302's many a kill.....

now if you mean more modern day stuff.....like if that 4.6 had more cubes would it stock for stock be a better match against the ls1.........ofcourse.....

thank god for the aftermarket, where it's anyones game.....

i can't tell you why ford has had a tendancy to go small on their cubic inches in some areas.......hell, they used the same restrictive heads on the 302 for 30+ years.....not like they didn't know.......

like i said, even the chevy guys end up rebuilding their stuff eventually.......everyone does, when you do, just build more into it.....

don't let the ragging get to you. ford chevy and dodge all make and have made respecatable muscle cars, and i guarentee there isn't one chevy guy who hasn't had his ass handed to him buy a ford prodect somewhere along the line......

95bayouracer said:
if ford started putting 351 engines instead of 4.6, would they fair better against the chevy fast cars stock for stock

If threads like this ended up in Talk instead of Tech, would they get more attention?

Ford only did one 5.4L latemodel Mustang so far....the 2000 Cobra R. I bet that thing gave a few Z06 drivers some grief. Maybe Ford doesnt do it because they already know they can, already have, and thus don't have anything to prove right now.

Just do a tech search on 351w... it's been discussed over and over in detail. Can be done with a few things needing to swapped over. I'd just stick with the 302, but that's me.

95bayouracer said:
i dont want to do a whole lot to the engine i have, but im pondering having another engine built. 302 or 351?
Right so what you are really asking is how to make your car quicker?

Not how good the old 351 was compared to modern Chevy engines?

I'm only asking because they are very different questions and thusly require very different answers. :)

Going by your usename I assume you have a 95 GT with the 302ci engine.

In essence to get more power you need to get more air into the engine. This can be done by many ways:

1. Using what you have. Do all the bolt ons heads and cam and so on. And essentially maxmise what you can with what you have. This can be expensive and ultimatley limiting in total HP. While the 5.0 is a good engine it is not in the habbit of making 400rwhp easily n/a

2. Increase the displacement, either by using your exisiting short block or with a replacement unit. 331 is a common option and of course 351. The more cubes you have the more power you can acheive. But it is still limiting.

Assuming you can get say 80bhp/litre out of a 5.0 thats (80 x 5) 400bhp (flywheel). Now a larger engine built to the same standard will still produce the same specific output, so a 351 (or 5.7) would make (80 x 5.7) 456bhp (flywheel). There are other factors, and most people who spend the time going for a built block usually go for a larger displacement but because they are built they often acheive better bhp/litre ratio's.

3. Forced induction. This is always a good option and FI does rule when it comes to ultimate power. And often will not cost anymore than an n/a build or an engine swap.

Remember all n/a does is force more air into the engine, so it increases the effective displacement of the engine (i.e. a bigger engine :))

If it where me I'd just slap a blower on your current setup, along with supporting mods for a blower applicatoin (upgraded fuel system). This way you should see a massive increase in HP and performance. And just run it like this, if eventually you want more or you blow the motor up you can simply rebuild it, or swap in another. But this cost will be the same as just doing an n/a built engine now. So overall it won't cost any more to do it this way round.

Check out Kennebell, Vortech and ProCharger.

Euphoric306 said:
i believe the 95 cobra R had the 351 in it did it not?

and a sort of off topic question... was the 2000 cobra R N/A?

Yes and yes and rated at 380hp. The thread starter mentioned using a 351 instead of a 4.6, indicating to me we were talking about mod motor cars. With that assumption, I just threw out the 5.4. There are swap kits to do it, too.

It seems that Ford often isn't very far behind GM in the quickness department, but that says alot considering how much smaller our engines usually are. More than 1L difference usually.

ThreeWhiteGT said:
Yeah, but what's sad is that 8 years later, Ford still hasn't built a GT that's faster then the old Trans Am's. I agree, we need more displacement to compete (stock).

a gt shouldnt be faster than a ta thats what a cobra is for. And where is the ta dead just like the rest of gm