Found an 88 T-top roller! I need help working out a trade...

So I scratched my idea of converting my 92 GT to t-tops and starting looking for T-top car to swap everything to. Well, I found a guy in New Jersey that has a fairly nice 88 LX T-top car, and he is very interested in working out a trade.

Here's the info on his car - He wants $1200obo with the motor and trans. He is willing to sell it without the motor and trans (which I have no use for), but he hasn't given me a price on it without motor and trans. It has less than 50k on rebuilt motor with Comp Cam of some sort, shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust, and everything else stock. He says there is no rust at all, no body damage, not even dents or dings anywhere, never been wrecked, but he doesn't know the actual mileage cause he never had the cluster, but I will run a Carfax on it. He also says the T-tops don't leak at all but I find that very hard to believe.

Now he is willing to do a trade for my 92 GT roller plus give me some cash. My car has good 2 yr old paint, no rust whatsoever, fairly nice complete grey interior, polished 4-lug Cobra R's, Cobra R hood. Only missing radio, cluster, rear wing and obviously engine and trans.

Now I'm trying to figure how much extra cash I should ask for in the trade. How much would my roller be worth straight up? How much extra cash should I ask for?

Here's some pics of both cars...

His car:

stang009.jpg

stang001.jpg

stang010.jpg

stang005.jpg

stang002.jpg

stang006.jpg

stang013.jpg

stang0107.jpg

My Car: (has no stripes now, took them off cause they were vinyl and started to look like crap

IMG_8479-2.jpg

DSCN1922.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

Attachments

• stang009.jpg
    stang009.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 115
  • stang001.jpg
    stang001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 111
  • stang010.jpg
    stang010.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 90
  • stang005.jpg
    stang005.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 116
  • stang002.jpg
    stang002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 108
  • stang006.jpg
    stang006.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 91
  • stang013.jpg
    stang013.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 79
  • stang0107.jpg
    stang0107.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8479-2.jpg
    IMG_8479-2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1922.jpg
    DSCN1922.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Sponsors (?)

Your car is just a roller, right?

If so.... I'm thinking the trade and he gives you $2K minimum. He'd have to pay more than that just for paint, me thinks.

There ya go. When you price out what all he's getting, it's easy! Prolly take a half off for the hood and a hundred off for the wheels and presto!

I come up with $2900

I think your car is in much better shape. I wouldn't trade at all.

Sure it's got t-tops, but how is the rest of the car?? It looks to me like it was an original 4-banger. Have you done a carfax? Looks like a ton of work.

yea once you go ttops you wont go back, esp since its an 88 LX, very rare. Worth restoring, but more fun to resto-mod it. Be sure to replace all weatherstripping and throw in a cage with subframes. THEN start modding heh heh. Good luck man!!

yeah you do, i've had a few t-top cars, and always go back to hartops, t-tops suck

yeah you do, i've had a few t-top cars, and always go back to hartops, t-tops suck

i used to have a t top car, it leaked, needed a new hatch and paint job bad, 150k+ on the ticker....i'd trade my car any day for it back. t tops are just nice to have, especially on a sunny day. sure they have their disadvantages, but imo, as a daily driver or street car, their advantages outweigh their disadvantages. now if only there was a targa top option...

I like t-tops and all, but i wouldn't give my sunroof up for one. WIth a little care, it's maintainence free, doesn't leak, doesn't make any noise, and it's still a pretty open roof with it off.

But t-tops just look cool