Fox Body Front Clip Change; Need Experience Body Input

al ballard

Jun 17, 2017
Need counsel in mustang front clip replacement going from fairmont to mustang.

Attachments

• fairmont - Copy.jpg
    fairmont - Copy.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 630
  • 766961_1.jpg
    766961_1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

This has been done before on other forums.

Have you already googled this? I bet there's complete write ups on it.

BTW, it looks very hot when done properly. Good luck with this. Show us your progress as you go along.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That fender/door line looks like an exact match for the mustang fender. I would bet it's as easy as removing the fenders and bumper and hood and installing the mustang parts...with a few quirks like hood latches, wiring, etc.

Thanks for the input and encouragement, glad I found stangnet. Trying to finalize a deal for a donor roller '88 mustang gt, no engine/trans., which will provide front clip, suspension upgrades all around and beginnings of the interior. Linda and I wanted to buy a '68 mustang, when we got married, however, we got a son instead... :) now, in our seventies we are going to create our FairTang and we are enjoying every moment in the planning.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's a good look. It has obviously been done before, so you have a template to work from. It's not something I've ever considered personally, so I have no input as to what you'll have to consider w/ regard to the sheet metal swap.

Everytime I see/read/hear that somebody is modifying a fox wagon I say to myself.......

Please let this be the one where the guy's capable of sectioning the car, and shortening it down to a 2 door chassis, and using a set of box top coupe/Futura doors.

Wouldn't this car be cool as sht w/ a mustang nose, 2 doors, and a rear lift gate?

It does need the early front end either way,..the aeronose doesn't flow as well as the 4 eye versions do.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's a good look. It has obviously been done before, so you have a template to work from. It's not something I've ever considered personally, so I have no input as to what you'll have to consider w/ regard to the sheet metal swap.
Thanks for the response and I understand. Found out fox body mounts appear to not be a problem, inner fender panels need to be mustang and will need some fabrication. One additional question, is the front k member of a 1979 fairmont 302 V8 the same as a 1988 mustang gt 5.0? I just purchased a donor '88 mustang and just wanted to plan for the swap, if necessary, otherwise i just plan to swap out suspension. Much appreciated, note, saw a awesome fairmont sedan run at bandimere speedway, denver, co, very impressive launch and ran a high 9... :)

Donor '88 mustang gt on the hook and ready to start supplying upgraded suspension/posi rear end, parts, wheels, tires (almost the same as yellow fairtang example,) and some gt front clip, parts (very hard to find a mustang that was backed into an accident... :) need leads on a hood and front grill. will post a classified ad for the convertible top, which is excellent, doors, trunk and saleen rear wing, later this month. thanks for all the support, the project moves forward.

Attachments

• 2685.jpg
    2685.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 575
  • STA70844JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
    STA70844JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 11,480
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the comments, ideas, links to ongoing projects, that is what makes building something fun. One thing that has stood out in my seven decades in building Ford autos; '29 A phone booth pickup/must. II drive train; '55 Mercury custom hardtop, '66 Fairlane drag car, is the challenge to remain focused. Our FairPony wagon will be a refreshed stock drive train with aftermarket overdrive, updated gt suspension, '88 mustang front end, new interior, resulting in a daily driver and something to enjoy going to local shows (a wagon is just useful for these adventures.) Obviously we plan to do all of the work ourselves, as we have in the past, mechanical, body work, paint, interior, allowing us to become attached and then enjoy the result. While we have experienced burnout in previous builds, due to too many inputs and sidebars (like www.ericthecarguy.com has seen in his Fairmont build,) the key is to complete an initial plan, enjoy it and modify it over time, otherwise confusion becomes the game and hard to turn around. Sometimes old is good and we are at that time in life. :) Thanks for the inputs, pictures, perspectives. Al

I'd be all over something like this. Half the challenge is finding a clean enough wagon to start with. Heck I'd be happy with a standard Fairmont/LTD wagon with a stroker. I'd even like it with all 4 doors, family truckster!

I'd be all over something like this. Half the challenge is finding a clean enough wagon to start with. Heck I'd be happy with a standard Fairmont/LTD wagon with a stroker. I'd even like it with all 4 doors, family truckster!
I am building one too. I call it the daddywagon. Wheelbase is about 5 inches longer but everything that you can do to a 79-04 mustang you can do to the fox chassis wagon. I put in a cobra independent rear suspension, 86 gt engine, tremec 3550 so far. I am left with wiring and plumbing and assorted other little things and it's taking forever. It is hard to persevere sometimes. I hope we both achieve our goals.

They are still out there, a little hard to find, but available. While they are a little different from the sedans, mustangs, they have their own personality... :)

This is my favorite pic even though it doesn't have these wheels anymore.
full.jpg

Awesome, creativity and being different is just fine with me; following others with traditional vehicles is not as rewarding as seeking multiple use vehicles. There is one Fairmont station wagon, road racer, and a number of drag racers, so I guess it isn't so odd... :) Take care.

Decision points: for anyone who has taken on a build knows, there are many decision points along the way, i hit one yesterday. Preparing to swap the 79 fairmont suspension with the 88 mustang gt, i test fit the alloy wheels and tires and then i realized what an amazing, straight fairmont, including the front clip. When the suspension is swapped and car lowered, 3" in front, 2" in back, does it really make sense to swap the front clip or move towards de-chrome, new paint, highlighting, then move on to interior updates. So forum followers what is your vote? Thanks, Al a.20170728_154304.jpg

Attachments

• b.20170728_154356.jpg
    b.20170728_154356.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 865
  • STA70844JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
    STA70844JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 991
Wow, what a question.
If your gonna customize a car it's best to start with the best example you can find. No collision, frame damage or rust issues are a good thing.
I think a fox nose on that car is, well, strange looking and must have associated mustang related body mods elsewhere to look right. It could be btch'n ride.