Fox Body Owners

Memphisjohnnie

Sep 15, 2015
Calling all Fox Body owner.....my daughter just purchased a 90 Mustang 5.0.
Has anybody out there ever had a problem with a head gasket? The motor has developed a miss and there's white smoke coming out one exhaust pipe. Does anyone have experience pulling heads on a 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

On the side that you see white smoke pull each spark plug- if you see any that look white or are wet then you have coolant in that cylinder
look in the radiator- does the coolant look oily
does the oil look like milkshake or have water in it
do you have to add coolant to the radiator ofter
go to autozone or oreillys and rent an coolant exhaust gas tester. That will tell you if you have a bad head gasket.

HG's blow for a number of reasons- most often in N/A motors from excessive overheating.Is the fan, radiator, water pump, thermostat all in good working order? In my opinion you don't replace one HG, do both sides while you have everything apart.

I would do a compression test and drain the oil before pulling the head off. The misfire could be related to other issues and the smoke could be something other than coolant.

Run the engine codes, perform a cylinder balance test, and then see if there is any coolant in the oil. or oil in the coolant. A compression test would help as well.

Calling all Fox Body owner.....my daughter just purchased a 90 Mustang 5.0.
Has anybody out there ever had a problem with a head gasket? The motor has developed a miss and there's white smoke coming out one exhaust pipe. Does anyone have experience pulling heads on a 5.0?
You may want to consider amending the title of your thread to something like "Head Gasket Issues" to draw a larger crowd in. Most people don't take the time to explore every thread and simply browse by the title name. Let me know if you need help.