Fox Fox Motor Mount Installation Problems

Walternator

Apr 4, 2002
I'm trying to install new motor mounts in my 90 LX, but am having no end of difficulty. All of the other postings I've seen make this job sound easy, which makes me wonder why I'm having so much trouble.

It looks like my problem is that I cannot lift the engine high enough to get enough clearance to install the new mounts. I'm pretty sure it won't go higher because the transmission is jammed up against the tunnel. I was barely able to wiggle the old ones out, but the new ones just won't go in.

What's the trick to getting enough clearance?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm trying to install new motor mounts in my 90 LX, but am having no end of difficulty. All of the other postings I've seen make this job sound easy, which makes me wonder why I'm having so much trouble.

It looks like my problem is that I cannot lift the engine high enough to get enough clearance to install the new mounts. I'm pretty sure it won't go higher because the transmission is jammed up against the tunnel. I was barely able to wiggle the old ones out, but the new ones just won't go in.

What's the trick to getting enough clearance?

Did you try pulling the trans mount and cross member to lower the trans a little? That might give you the room you need. Angle of the dangle might be getting ya there.

I had the same thought, but I pulled the crossmember bolts and the crossmember went up, not down, so it didn't help at all.

Well ok. Before you pulled the bolts did you release the jack under the motor? You may have to drop the drive shaft, but i assure you, that trans will go down. If it's going up you've got something in a bind.

You have a strut brace? I had to remove mine when i switched out my mounts. Try coming from a different angle? Or maybe jack from a different point? What kind of motor mounts you have? It was a pain to put urethane mounts in.

You should replace one mount at a time, holding one side lower gives more clearance on the opposite side. With both mounts you wind up with equal space on both sides and that is not cutting it. Replace one stock mount for now and leave the nut loose so that it holds one side down while you change the mount then repeat. Ensure that the steering shaft isn't hitting the header as well

Reactions: 1 users
You have a strut brace? I had to remove mine when i switched out my mounts. Try coming from a different angle? Or maybe jack from a different point? What kind of motor mounts you have? It was a pain to put urethane mounts in.
I do have a strut brace, but it isn't hitting anywhere. I'll try moving the jack around and see if it helps.

The mounts are non-Ford stock replacements because I couldn't get factory parts.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You should replace one mount at a time, holding one side lower gives more clearance on the opposite side. With both mounts you wind up with equal space on both sides and that is not cutting it. Replace one stock mount for now and leave the nut loose so that it holds one side down while you change the mount then repeat. Ensure that the steering shaft isn't hitting the header as well
Oh ho! That's a great idea. I think Stykthyn was suggesting the same thing. I'll try it tomorrow. I'll also check on the steering shaft.

Thanks for the help!