Brakes Foxbody sn95 5 lug swap need help

MidCal50

Jan 3, 2019
Monterey Ca
Hi there. After many years I’m ressurecting my first car I owned 1990 GT. I need some help with the 5 lug conversion. I know thousands here have done them. I have a perfectly running 97 GT donor. Dude wants $500 for it. I can make that back after parting it out. What i need to know is which parts I need to save for the 5 lug conversion to my fox? I’ve read that the 97 spindles won’t work (without adding a new k member)
Also I don’t want to get rid of my fox rear end. It was rebuilt 500 miles ago with 4.10s. Can I just slide the sn95 axels into the Fox rearend housing? Will it changed my width and limited wheel combos?
Any other parts I should snatch off the 97’ before I whore it out to craigslist?
Much appreciated for any and all info. I don’t mind reading good write ups if you have a link.
-Adam

Attachments

• B45C88A4-2A0B-4CFF-B3E3-A12471ECE190.jpeg
    B45C88A4-2A0B-4CFF-B3E3-A12471ECE190.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 317
  • FDA58149-8B57-403F-BB06-722DC3506393.jpeg
    FDA58149-8B57-403F-BB06-722DC3506393.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 328
  • Sponsors (?)

Grab the spindles anyway, they have value on ebay

Yes you can slide the axles and rear parts onto your current rear axle. Downside is they will stick out 0.75" each side unless you buy aftermarket brackets and fox-length 5-lug axles. Leaving the extra width does affect your wheel/tire combos. Depends on what you want to run ultimately. I run this setup, and it's close to the lip, but I like that look

Front brake aren't even that spectacular. I'd do yourself a favor and get a set of 99-04 GT/V6 dual piston front brakes, a 1993 cobra MC and booster and run that. Really all you can take from that car is the rear brake parts. The MC and booster are hydroboost, which does have value on ebay as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Grab the spindles anyway, they have value on ebay

Yes you can slide the axles and rear parts onto your current rear axle. Downside is they will stick out 0.75" each side unless you buy aftermarket brackets and fox-length 5-lug axles. Leaving the extra width does affect your wheel/tire combos. Depends on what you want to run ultimately. I run this setup, and it's close to the lip, but I like that look

Front brake aren't even that spectacular. I'd do yourself a favor and get a set of 99-04 GT/V6 dual piston front brakes, a 1993 cobra MC and booster and run that. Really all you can take from that car is the rear brake parts. The MC and booster are hydroboost, which does have value on ebay as well.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciated. I hate to be ‘that guy’ but could you give me a parts list for the front setup your talking about. Down to hoses and etc.. Any yes I think I’ll like the extended axels against the lip. I like that looks as well. Will i need new brackets for the 97 axels/brakes? Thanks again.

For the frog you'll want

Spindles (although you should really find 94/95)
Rotors
Calipers (either the ones off the parts car or 99/04 GT/v6)
Lines
Dust shield

You'll need a weatherhead 7828 adapter for pass side.

Out back you'll want
Axles
Axle brackets
Anti moans
Calipers

You'll want to buy 94-95 rear brake lines as the 96+ are body mounted

Master cylinder if you use the single piston Caliper is the 94/95 GT MC. If you go with the 99/04 Caliper you'll want a 1993 cobra MC, plus appropriate 3-2 conversion kit and adjustable prop vakve.

Booster should be 1993 Cobra but some people like the feel of stock booster so try it first.

Parking brake cables can be had on LMR and you can purchase a clip for $1 to lock out the parking brake self adjusted vs welding it

For the frog you'll want

Spindles (although you should really find 94/95)
Rotors
Calipers (either the ones off the parts car or 99/04 GT/v6)
Lines
Dust shield

You'll need a weatherhead 7828 adapter for pass side.

Out back you'll want
Axles
Axle brackets
Anti moans
Calipers

You'll want to buy 94-95 rear brake lines as the 96+ are body mounted

Master cylinder if you use the single piston Caliper is the 94/95 GT MC. If you go with the 99/04 Caliper you'll want a 1993 cobra MC, plus appropriate 3-2 conversion kit and adjustable prop vakve.

Booster should be 1993 Cobra but some people like the feel of stock booster so try it first.

Parking brake cables can be had on LMR and you can purchase a clip for $1 to lock out the parking brake self adjusted vs welding it
Thanks a lot 5L5 I’ve read a bunch of your posts and a sticky thread of yours on here late last night. I’ve learned a lot, possibly too much. I’m going to take the rear setup from the parts car and go with the dual piston PBR calipers in the front. Which rotors for the PBR front?

Which rotors for the PBR front?

Doesn't matter. All 94-04 GT rotors are the same. The oem ones from 99-04 were a bit better quality but at almost 20 years later I doubt many mustangs wear original rotors at this point. If the rotors on the parts car are in good shape you can run them.

To fit the 99/04 GT PBRs on 94-95 spindles you need to clearance for the pistons slightly. Not a huge deal and you'll see what I mean when you go to bolt them up

Doesn't matter. All 94-04 GT rotors are the same. The oem ones from 99-04 were a bit better quality but at almost 20 years later I doubt many mustangs wear original rotors at this point. If the rotors on the parts car are in good shape you can run them.

To fit the 99/04 GT PBRs on 94-95 spindles you need to clearance for the pistons slightly. Not a huge deal and you'll see what I mean when you go to bolt them up
Yup. I read a thread last night where dudes setup wouldn’t work. At the end, the piston was catching. If I want to run wider tires I should probably ditch the sn95 axels and run Fox length? And if I do that, I need a new bracket from??