frame rail trunk floor replacement

kuhlou

Apr 15, 2003
MN
The further we go, the further we must go. We are replacing rear frame rail extensions on our 66 coupe. Questions are:

Trunk floor replacement - We'd like to go with a fuel cell, rather than replace the tank. Most of the floor, except the tank flange, needs replacing. Thinking about cutting out entire floor, including tank mounting, and just weld in a flat piece of steel, then use fuel cell. Does this idea work?

The rear bumper supports appear to be tack welded to the floor. The old rear frame rails are immediately below. If we cut the welds on the bumper mounts - hopefully to save them - would the old frame rails and floor drop away, or is the frame rail welded to the steel frame below the tail light panel? Not sure what that part is called.

Hoping to get the old frame rails out with a minimum of damage to other parts. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you removing the entire rear frame rail? If you are only looking to replace a section of the frame rail, you might as well do the whole thing. That is assuming that you will also be replacing the floors. The entire frame rail is not all that expensive and we replaced both of mine in my '65 coupe.

If you do replace the entire frame rails let me know and I get get the the measurements for the car. I had a hard time finding these anywhere in books or on the net but someone was kind enough to email a diagram with the proper measurements.

later,

Chris