Front and Rear Bumper Cover, Headlight Assy Removal

a1handy

Jan 13, 2010
I am trying to remove the front and rear bumper covers on a 95 GT as well as the headlight assembly. I think that someone has previously had these parts removed and rigged new ways to attach them. I cannot seem to find all of the retaining clips or bolts or even how to have access to them. Does anyone have a diagram or (exploded view) illustration showing all of the parts, and retaining clips and screws holding the covers and headlight assemblies in place

• Sponsors (?)

The front bumper is a PITA, especially if it's an OEM bumper. You have a couple of screws holding the sides of the bumper to the splashguard on each side, and two nuts holding the bumper to thew fender. Those two you have to reach up pretty high up inside to get at. Then there are two rivets near the top center that you have to drill out. Those two I recommend replacing with bolts and those clip-on nuts you see all around the car. Most auto parts stores sell various sizes.

The last part is a PITA. The OEM bumper has clips built into the bumper that slide into the bottom of the headlight mounting panel. You need to push and pry at them to get them to slide out of the panel. I end up sticking an arm behind the bumper and work at it with a flat-head screwdriver. If you are also removing the headlight panel, you can probably leave the clips in place until later.

The headlight panel is held in place by 8 bolts: two behind each of the corner lights (holding it to the fenders), and two holding it to the frame. The ones holding it to the frame are in sideways. To see 'em, kneel down by the corner light and look where the headlight mounts in.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, someone in the past must have removed some of these parts improperly and ******ed and broken a lot of the plastic pieces that were attaching the parts to the car. It is a real mess trying to find where and accessing all of the screws he has holding the parts on.