• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Front brake cooling

  • Thread starter Thread starter no_3
  • Start date Start date Dec 19, 2004
N

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
73
0
0
Dec 19, 2004
#1
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #1
I have the shelby r model front apron that uses the front bumper. I was told that you can't use the front brake cooling ducts with this type of apron.
Anyone know this to be not the case?
Do the cooling ducts make any difference?
Do the rear ones make any difference either?
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 19, 2004
#2
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #2
I am not sure why the front bumper would effect installing air ducts and yes they do make a difference. See very few rear brake cooling systems at the track as they are not needed. Here is my set up.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com





 

1995cobraR

Member
Jan 15, 2004
161
10
19
Sandy Springs, GA
Dec 19, 2004
#3
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #3
HistoricMustang said:
I am not sure why the front bumper would effect installing air ducts and yes they do make a difference. See very few rear brake cooling systems at the track as they are not needed.
Click to expand...

Hey Henry! Long time no see.
How come that '65 has rust all over the rotors? You should take it out more often!
Doesn't no_3's Shelby R apron have cooling ducts built into the apron? Some styles are placed so that the ducts are perfected located so you can hook up the ducts and route them straight to the calipers for cooling. Some are not so well engineered and the ducts are in front of the frame (like the one I bought with a fellow resident of Hephzibah). Those require cutting a hole to the outside of the duct for better palcement (you make the duct receptor from alumium). I've used Home Depot washing machine ducts (they don't last long at the track). I now use ducts built for racing (read, $$, $5/ft.).

I agree that rear ducts are not near as important (unless you are going for the Grand-Am Cup title). The fronts are almost required if your car will see track duty. Otherwise you'll crack the rotors and crumble the pads from excess heat.

Henry, when will we see that #97 back on the track?
 
N

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
73
0
0
Dec 19, 2004
#4
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #4
Thanks lads
I'm going to put my creative cap on and get those front brake cooling ducts happening!
 

HistoricMustang

Active Member
Apr 11, 2003
2,359
0
46
Confederate States of America
Dec 19, 2004
#5
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #5
CobraR, your are going to need more friends to store the cars you keep buying. Your signature list is now longer than our buddy at Chateau Elan.

Now sure about any track time in the next few months because of this: www.historicmustang.com/library.html and this: www.historicmustang.com/memorialpage.html .

I think by laying low our friend Mr. P. might give me a few "free" events which is going to make you very jealous.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com
 
N

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
73
0
0
Dec 19, 2004
#6
  • Dec 19, 2004
  • #6
Does anbody know a good kit for front brake ducting on 65-66's?
Just saw a fantastic one for BMW's that's totaly intergrated into the disc. And another one on a Camaro that used top notch looking orange tubes
 

1995cobraR

Member
Jan 15, 2004
161
10
19
Sandy Springs, GA
Dec 20, 2004
#7
  • Dec 20, 2004
  • #7
HistoricMustang said:
Your signature list is now longer than our buddy at Chateau Elan.

I think by laying low our friend Mr. P. might give me a few "free" events which is going to make you very jealous.
Click to expand...

No way I can keep up with Tim. He did just sell his silver coupe race car to a guy in FL. He is building a ultra-nice blue FB. He just bought a green '67 GT350 (he knew the original owner--Jim O.). That makes two GT350's in his stable. He had two big Ford 60's station wagons the last time I was at his shop . And how about the Mavricks? The Saleen and the R? The older truck with the 460 in it? The biggest difference bewteen us? He always makes money when he sells; I always lose money.

Free events? Ha! He'll make you "volunteer" at tech or as an instructor. I think you should come off that wallet and help him out with a sponsorship package . I'll send him a suggestion.

No_3, I've never seen a kit, but I'm sure you could find one somewhere. I used 3" ducts and a bunch of tie wraps. You could try Gary Jones Motorsports.com . He builds the fastest Mustangs in the SE. He just won another champioship this year.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Front ATS brakes with Taurus rear brakes. Full parts needed?
  • Wagonized
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
128
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
B
Front brakes not releasing
  • Boats90GT
  • Sep 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
228
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 16, 2026
AeroCoupe
2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
178
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
W
2.3l cooling fan questions
  • waxman
  • Jun 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
143
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 27, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
395
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?