Front brakes & 8.8 rear axle from a 2003 GT

mk55gt

Jan 19, 2008
I have searched extensively but cant seem to find any answers to specifically suit my setup.

I just bought a 92 Mustang GT and have decided that I want to go five lug. The suspension had been lowered with unknown springs, C/C plates, Strange adjustable shocks & struts and tubular upper and lower control arms. My plan is to run 18" Bullit wheels, 245's in the front and 275"s in the rear...

Today I went to the local pick a part and grabbed a few parts for my 5 lug conversion... I grabbed front spindles, PBR calipers, rotors, and brake lines for the from an '03 GT. It was easiest to grab the spindles and brakes complete rather than disassemble everything at the junk yard. I now realize most people run spindles from a 94-95 V6 or GT... Are the 03 spindles useless or can I run them? I also grabbed the complete rear axle out of the same 03 GT including axles, rotors, calipers, brackets and brake lines. What will I have to do to use this stuff and run the wheel/tire package above? What master cylinder should I be looking for? Worst case I sell this stuff and start over, it would be a bummer though, the donor car has brand new rotors and calipers all around. I gave $275 for everything. Was I robbed?

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

The 03 front end will work. They will widen your front about 1.5 inches wider than the 94/95 spindles end so keep that in mind if you run into rubbing. Worse case, you can still use the calipers, rotors and such and just replace the spindles. Many people use them so give it a try, you have nothing to really loose. As for the rear.... the 99-04 rear is 3 inches wider. You will probably run into rubbing. Ask me how I know.... haha. You will likely have to use a different offset to keep the wheels tucked into the wheel well. You will also have to run new hard lines if I remember correctly to each caliper. The fox uses one soft line to the axle then a hard line to each caliper. The 99+ runs the hard line to each wheel well and a soft line to each caliper.
Kevin

Save yourself some headaches.
Take the good parts off the rear, get fox length 5 lug axles and northracecar.com brackets.
For the front, get the 94/95 spindles.

$275 is a good price for everything.

Sell the spindles for $100-125 and pick up some 94-95 spindles instead.

Take the brakes off the rear axle, leave the axles shafts and sell the housing for $100-150 or so. All you need are the rear brakes, and either 94-98 axles OR buy some north race car brackets like above and use fox lenght 5-lug axles. Make sure you remove the axle brackets that bolt to the housing. Will need to pull the axle shafts first.

As for MC and booster, the 99-04 mustangs come with a 1" bore MC. So you want to use a 1993 Cobra MC and see how it feels with the stock booster, or swap in a 1993 Cobra booster as well. You will need the necessary 3-2 conversion kits and adjustable prop valve and plug as well

plus e-brake cables and hardware and brake lines too

Something I think we need to add to the 5-lug conversion sticky is the specific differences in the spindles and the rear end assemblies over the years.

As it is right now, the differences are kind of alluded to in that thread, but not directly written out. I'd do it, but I don't know the specifics.

The problem is most of the info regarding differences in the spindles is just stuff people repeat from other people that is sometimes incorrect. I've heard it incorrectly stated that 94-95 spindles don't increase track (they do 3mm per side) and heard that the 96+ spindles increase by 1.5" each side (more like 11mm total)

Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

1979-93 Mustang: Swapping to the 1994-04 Spindles : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

The problem is most of the info regarding differences in the spindles is just stuff people repeat from other people that is sometimes incorrect. I've heard it incorrectly stated that 94-95 spindles don't increase track (they do 3mm per side) and heard that the 96+ spindles increase by 1.5" each side (more like 11mm total)

Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

1979-93 Mustang: Swapping to the 1994-04 Spindles : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

That should definitely be in the 5 lug thread.

Maybe the reason my knowledge was fuzzy is because I've heard it several different (and incorrect) ways, haha.

Thanks a bunch for the info guys, its tough to make heads and tails out of the wealth of info on this subject. I've been a member of this site forever and generally always find what I nee viad the search tool! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to contribute someething useful.

I'm trying to sell the axle assy locally and I think I found the 28 spline axles I need on 5.0 resto, $200 for the pair. Sill question, but can you use the same axle for both disk and drum setups? Its simply the brackets that dictate brake setup correct? I think I'll go for the 94-95 cobra MC and booster and be done with it. Thats not a job you want to do twice... I'm looking forward to the improved braking, the stock setup is rather anemic!

I havent had a fox body stang for more than 10 years and I had almost forgotten how much fun they are!

I think I'll go for the 94-95 cobra MC and booster and be done with it. Thats not a job you want to do twice.

Sorry my info was incorrect

93 cobra 1" mc is the right size mc from the factory.

94-95 cobra will give softer pedal feel

94-95 gt 1 1/16 will give firmer pedal feel

I personally would use the 1993 cobra mc, but your call.

Sorry my info was incorrect

93 cobra 1" mc is the right size mc from the factory.

94-95 cobra will give softer pedal feel

94-95 gt 1 1/16 will give firmer pedal feel

I personally would use the 1993 cobra mc, but your call.

I have a 97 V6 MC (1 1/16" bore), 95 brakes up front, and 93 cobra discs rear.
Nice and firm... but not hard pedal feel. If I step up to cobra brakes up front maybe I'll change out the MC one day... but for now it's really nice.

I actually prefered those spindles due to the wider track they give = better handling!! Im running 2000 spindles as well as 31 spline Moser sn95 Axles. Reason i went that route is i wanted to run 18" shelby razors on my 91 and needed the wider stuff to accomodate the offset of the wheels. Worked perfect for me

I have a 97 V6 MC (1 1/16" bore), 95 brakes up front, and 93 cobra discs rear.
Nice and firm... but not hard pedal feel. If I step up to cobra brakes up front maybe I'll change out the MC one day... but for now it's really nice.

But he's using the 99-04 dual piston GT calipers...slightly less fluid volume, so slightly smaller MC needed.

I actually prefered those spindles due to the wider track they give = better handling!! Im running 2000 spindles as well as 31 spline Moser sn95 Axles. Reason i went that route is i wanted to run 18" shelby razors on my 91 and needed the wider stuff to accomodate the offset of the wheels. Worked perfect for me

Are you running the stock k member or an aftermarket one? If stock how is the bump steer? Reading that Maximum Motorsports article sounds like I shouldn't purchase the spindles off a 2000 that I'm looking at.