Front coil-over users...question

Jason 302

10 Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Newark, Ohio
I feel sort of dumb asking such a newbie question since I've been in the game for a good while, but here it goes.

I'm getting ready to install the following parts soon on my 93GT....

-Tubular A-Arms
-Steeda Coil over kit
-#200 coil over springs
-MM caster/camber plates
-KYB adjustable struts

My question is...how exactly does the top half of the coil over kit sit in the car? Does the spring retainers just simply sit up inside the strut tower? Isn't there any sort of buffer between these two? Metal to metal contact isn't something that I think I want with a street driven car. For example, withe the factory springs there is a rubber cup on the bottom and a rubber sleeve for the top to act as a cushion.

I've never done any front end work on this car so I'm not sure what is up in there.

Here's a picture of a Steeda coil over kit. The retainers I speak of are on the left and right sides of the pics.
billet-coil-over-kit-79-04-mus.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The top mount of the coil over kit is bolted directly to the pivot bushing of the caster/camber plates. The pivot bushing allows free movement of the front supsension over its full range of motion. Everything is bolted fast, no metal to metal contact, just parts bolted together. Any rubber isolators in a coil over setup would be crushed to pieces because of all the weight that are now on the struts. There is no increase in NVH from a coil over setup on a street car. The ride improves a noticable amount, actually.

You should have some spacers that go onto the strut before you feed it up into the castercamber (these spacers came with the CC plates)

Some struts require you remove the dust cap, install the coil over sleeve then tap it back on