Front Control Arm Bushings:Tips to Remove them?

5LugFoxFanatic

LOVE AND PEACE!
Founding Member
I replaced all of the bushing in my rear control arms woth poly ones. I used a torch to heat them up and then pound them out. It was pretty easy and I could pretty much press them in by hand, and then finished them off with a bench vise. I was looking at the fronts and they look a bit of a pain to remove since they are enclosed with metal sleeves. Is there a good was to remove them without a press? Will the torch technique work with them too? Or will I have to resort to using an air hammer? Or is it best to have them pressed out? I am pretty sure that a bench vise will be sufficient to press them in as long as I have a 2x4 to keep the arm from collapsing. Tips? Advice? Appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep... Just burn those suckers out... then use a hammer and chisel or an air hammer to get them out. They ARE a total pain in the ass to get out. If I were you, I'd take the control arms off, and take them to a machine shop or any trust worthy shop to have them do it... Save yourself the trouble. I'm a mechanic and it took me about 2 hours to get my old ones out with the torch and air hammer. Usually, regular auto repair shops don't know what their in for and charge you something retarded like 20 bucks, and it takes them all day lol! Try it out. :nice:

5LugFoxFanatic said:
My friend just told me that the way he thinks will work is to torch them out, and then collapse the metal collars into a half moon shape and then pull them out with a vise gripsor air hammer or chissle them out from behind. Think that'll work?
That's what we've already explained to you. lol. Yes, that will work. They can just be a pain, that's why I recommened taking the control arms to the shop. One word of caution.. I dunno if my 83 was a one off screwy design on the front control arms, but there was not ONE Fox body Mustang fron control arm bushing that would work with them. All were too small. I ended up having to buy new control arms lol. Have fun, and good luck... :nice:

I am with Nick - i would either get new arms (which come loaded) or pay a machine shop to do it - that is money well spent (sure you can get the task done, but it is easier to have someone else do it, IMHO).

HISSIN50 said:
I am with Nick - i would either get new arms (which come loaded) or pay a machine shop to do it - that is money well spent (sure you can get the task done, but it is easier to have someone else do it, IMHO).

Easier yes, but less gratifying that getting rubber all over your hands and hanging out with your buds on a saturday afternoon.

Why buy new arms when mine are fine? Seems like a waste to me.

Stang8URMPRT said:
That's what we've already explained to you. lol. Yes, that will work. They can just be a pain, that's why I recommened taking the control arms to the shop. One word of caution.. I dunno if my 83 was a one off screwy design on the front control arms, but there was not ONE Fox body Mustang fron control arm bushing that would work with them. All were too small. I ended up having to buy new control arms lol. Have fun, and good luck... :nice:

I will be sure to hold them to each other before I get to torching.

5LugFoxFanatic said:
Easier yes, but less gratifying that getting rubber all over your hands and hanging out with your buds on a saturday afternoon.

Why buy new arms when mine are fine? Seems like a waste to me.
sorry. based on how you phrased your original post, it did not sound like you really wanted to do this. you can get upgraded arms that are loaded and come out very close to what you would spend buying new ball joints and control arm bushings, depending upon how much you pay for parts.

i was not sure if you knew about the other option which is why i said something. i can think of other things to do with my friends. :)

anyhow, good luck with it. :nice:

I took mine to a shop. Took him about 20 minutes. Would have taken me all day. I got some pics on the link in my site. Made a nice difference in the front end along with all the other suspension upgrades.

Take um to a shop with a press. I would have spent 50 bucks if he would have asked me for it.

I tried using a press on mine, but they wouldn't budge. I ended up using a drill to cut up the rubber and a chisel to remove the rubber and the center sleeve. I got the Maximum Motorsports bushings and reused the stock outer metal sleeves, after I cleaned them up real good with a drum sander. It all worked very nicely and took me about 2 hours.

Good luck on it.