front end vibration-anyone heard of warped HUBS?

Husky44

10 Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Tacoma, WA
I've got a front end vibration, strongest at about 60 mph up to 75 or so (haven't pushed much past that).

Symptoms: had front tires rebalanced about 100 miles ago. When I first picked it up, it ran smooooooth. About 100 miles later, front weights fell off one wheel. Took it back, and they re-balanced them. Still had slight vibration listed above. The shop said they think it's front hubs warped (?), but didn't have anyone there on Saturday with a dial indicator to check runout. Also, couldn't find a spec in their computer for runout?

Not sure if it's related or not, but I do have high spots on front rotors, that cause a vibration when braking. This is different than the problem described at the top, which occurs without braking. Just mentioning it in case it's related.

Is it possible to warp hubs?

Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of it. Have you tried putting the rear wheels up front?

I would be more inclined to think it's a resonance issue with the slightly warped rotors.

Why did the wheel weights fall off (or how)? Was it a force balance or something?

Don't think you can have warped hubs BUT you can have worn front bearings. They may be giving you a bit of play causing a vibration. Not really sure how to test that, however.

Never heard of it. Have you tried putting the rear wheels up front?

I would be more inclined to think it's a resonance issue with the slightly warped rotors.

Why did the wheel weights fall off (or how)? Was it a force balance or something?

Rears are too big to swap to the fronts. I really don't think it's a tire/wheel issue.

Weights fell off cuz they used stickons on dirty wheels (first guy that did it was a kid--he was more interested in test driving the car when he was done. After a conversation with the owner, the second guy that did it was one of their most seasoned mechanics, and the owner dealt with the joy-riding kid). Too bad tire machines are so expensive--that's one of the few things I can't do myself in my garage.

As far as worn bearings, I've checked that. Normally that shows up when you try rocking top-to-bottom, etc. No worn front suspension parts that I can determine.

I'm wondering whether to just replace the rotors and see if it goes away? Has anyone heard of worn rotors creating a vibration when not braking?

Don't think you can have warped hubs BUT you can have worn front bearings. They may be giving you a bit of play causing a vibration. Not really sure how to test that, however.

Ditto. The bearings will walk in and out when they wear out. You can test them with a dial indicator. Just put a rotor you know is straight on the front wheel hub, and spin the wheel, and see how much play it has in there. Worn bearings can definately cause a vibration, and they wear out all the time. When I did my front brakes last year, I found that both my front bearings were way out of whack.

Kurt