Fox Front Springs Install Question

rhannigan

Sep 13, 2016
Las Vegas
Hello Everyone, I have a 1990 5.0 Foxbody.

I'm in the process of doing my first front spring install. I have done research and have come up with this list of procedures to complete the job, please let me know if this sounds right:

1. Jack up front of car and put on jack stands
  2. Remove tire
  3. Remove brake caliper and hang it out of the way
  4. Remove front sway bar end link
  5. Put a jack under the A-arm
  6. Remove the two strut bolts at spindle
  7. Lower jack
  8. Remove Spring
  9. Install new spring
  10. Use jack to compress new spring
  11. Install the two strut to spindle bolts
  12. Install sway bar end link
  13. Remount brake caliper
  14. Put tire back on
Let me know if this is correct.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks pretty close to me if the world was perfect. To me, if you are removing a stock spring, it never comes out after lowering the jack and if it does you better get out of the way. It still is normally stuck in there under tension and ready to shoot out at you when I do it. Heck it was even a PITA to get my Eibach pro's wedged back in there without isolators. Another bit of advice is to only jack up and work on one side of the vehicle at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks pretty close to me if the world was perfect. To me, if you are removing a stock spring, it never comes out after lowering the jack and if it does you better get out of the way. It still is normally stuck in there under tension and ready to shoot out at you when I do it. Heck it was even a PITA to get my Eibach pro's wedged back in there without isolators. Another bit of advice is to only jack up and work on one side of the vehicle at a time.

FoxMustanfLvr thanks for the quick response! I know all of this sounds perfect, do you recommend spring compressors? If so, do you have a preference? I friend of mine said that he has heard of the front end lifting off the jack stands when the spring uncompresses, is that why you recommend only jacking up the side that will be worked on?

do yourself a favor and spend $20 and buy the max motorsports spring tool. It holds the spring in place in the A arm so you can jack it up and not have to worry about it popping out.

Reactions: 5 users
I just bought one on Amazon that had good reviews, I'll post the link later if it works well, but I won't know until this weekend lol. I don't want to recommend a tool if it turns out to be garbage.

Which spring compressor do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The free one :scratch:. Go to advance auto and rent one. They put a charge on your credit/debit card while you have the tool checked out. When you return it, they refund it, no cost.

3 pluses to this,
1. If your a speed perks member you get either the 5 dollar or 20 dollar coupon on crap in the store (parts,rtv, oil, brake cleaner, etc) even tho you are returning it (loophole)
2. If you damage it or break it, its their problem not yours.
3. Oh you don't spend any additional money on something you will need once in a blue moon.

Carry on :SN:

Reactions: 1 users
I have the MM spring tool too. It keeps the bottom of the spring in place because the bottom of the spring likes to pop out during install. You still want to use both the MM tool and a pair of spring compressors to make life easier. I've done it with only the MM tool and a 3ft pry bar on top of the spring which works too.

I've done this many many times and now I'm happy to say I have Maximum Motorsports coil overs and will never have to deal with those frickin springs again!!!
:banana::banana:

Reactions: 1 users
I have the MM spring tool too. It keeps the bottom of the spring in place because the bottom of the spring likes to pop out during install. You still want to use both the MM tool and a pair of spring compressors to make life easier. I've done it with only the MM tool and a 3ft pry bar on top of the spring which works too.

I've done this many many times and now I'm happy to say I have Maximum Motorsports coil overs and will never have to deal with those frickin springs again!!!
:banana::banana:

FoxMustangLvr, Which type of spring compressor do you recommend? I included a pic of the three types I can rent locally in Las Vegas.

download.jpg
e2759699-5c03-49a8-9ea5-64a8627a3677_1000.jpg
9150007_pbi_648627_pri_larg.jpg

FoxMustangLvr, Which type of spring compressor do you recommend? I included a pic of the three types I can rent locally in Las Vegas.

download.jpg
e2759699-5c03-49a8-9ea5-64a8627a3677_1000.jpg
9150007_pbi_648627_pri_larg.jpg
The bottom pic is the one i'd use. I prefer to use the external type with locking pins. Honestly mine do not have the safety pins which is always a risk but I've used them dozens of times without issue. The only time I didn't feel safe with my spring compressors was when I tried to use them on my F-150 springs when I installed my adjustable Bilsteins. I ended up outsourcing that job to a shop.

Thanks for the pics, big help. Chain is a good idea. I see that you separated the ball joint from the tie rod, in your opinion is this necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. And you really need to jack the car up high enough to have the control arm hang free and able to push down with your foot all the way down to get the spring in/out. The steering tie rod will limit that if left connected.