Front suspension/brakes 2002 mustang gt

02red4point6

Mar 30, 2011
For some time, my front suspension has been making popping noises when braking harder than,say, 35 percent pressure applied. This happens quite often, but even more prevalent when rolling downhill slightly and hitting the brakes.

The wear pattern on my new (3 months old maybe) brake job (pads and rotors) Is scaring me. Had it in the shop a year prior to the last time for brakes (pads and rotors) and in a year, my passenger front went shot way before the drivers front. The passenger front was 50 percent more worn. Maybe more.

Now, the drivers front looks to be wearing A LOT more than the passenger front (which still looks somewhat new along the outside half of the rotor). Another thing, most, maybe, 70 to 80 percent of the wear is on the inside of the rotor(not facing the car, but the inside of the outside of the rotor... Get it?) WTF is this all about???

I'm thinking the popping and brakes go hand in hand, but I could be wrong...

Bumps are A LOT more violent nowadays I've noticed. Could my front suspension need an overhaul? If so, what parts would I need?

And what about the brakes? When I first got them they felt amazing, and now they feel mushy, poppy and inconsistent.

I need some input here guys thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

As in the title, 2002 mustang gt stock suspension and brakes

The popping comes from hitting the brakes either in reverse or rolling downhill and braking (at a stop on a hill, etc). And after it pops that way, it pops again when I use 50% or more force on the brakes while going forward (braking to a stop light, stop sign, etc).

Better info for a diagnosis?

You have a very similar problem that I had about 3 months after I bought my car. After taking it to two seperate shops I finally broke down and took it to the dealer (wish I had done it the first time, facepalm!) because one of the shops flat out lied to me about what was wrong.

As it turns out ALL the bolts that secured my K member to my car had become loose. The dealer was nice enough to just charge me the diagnostic fee and leave it at that. I would jack the car up and check all those bolts. The bolts being loose wont effect your brakes though.

As for the abnormal break pad issue I would check your wheel bearings. While you have the car in the air for the K-member bolts simply check them by placing your hands on the wheels at the 12 and 6 positions and see if you can move the wheels in and out so to speak. If there is any play then the bearings are most likely shot.

The other things I would check regarding the popping sound are your ball joints, upper strut mounts, and tie rods. The suspension on our cars is very simple so you only have a few places to check.