Fox Fti Cam Came Today

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Its here! It was packaged as a Lunati and has their name on the end of the camshaft, but I guess this is who Ed uses to grind now? Anyways, the cam is designed around this:

10.7:1 331
AFR 185
Systemax Intake
LT Headers
5spd w/4.10's
3350lbs with me, full interior, AC & PS
2700-6500

Here are the specs, of course unknown lobe profile:

.613/.588
227/235
111 LSA

5.5/41.5
3.5/51.5

What do you guys think? Look about right?

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

No it doesn't look right. It looks like a cam totally out of profile, but that's how Ed does things. But hey, if it makes power, who is anyone to question it? Are those box stock heads, or did you have them ported?

Kurt

He likely purchases blank or uncut cams from them and does his own grind

The cam shipped from Missouri, I think Ed is in Connecticut. Also, the cam card is definitely a lunati cam card, with fti listed as customer.

No it doesn't look right. It looks like a cam totally out of profile, but that's how Ed does things. But hey, if it makes power, who is anyone to question it? Are those box stock heads, or did you have them ported?

Kurt

Box stock heads. It is a little odd I thought. I assumed the exhaust would be larger than the intake all the way around.

Joe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 617
I personally have had great luck with Lunati on non-Fords I've run them in. On another note, that is a lot of shaft!
Seems like a lot of cam to only go to 6500

My understanding of lift is that is has no effect on RPM range. As far as the duration goes, the N71 I had was 232/240 and designed to go to 6700RPM on a 302. So I don't really think the cam is that large at all. Its got less duration than the XE282HR cam. I did think the larger intake lift was a little odd, but I'm sure he has his reasons for it.

Joe

I don't think any of the cam experts actually grind their own cams. They come up with specs, then call it in to a place that manufacturers cams.
I know my buddy uses comp cams for his.
And sometimes the specs do seem crazy.

There are only a handful of machines in the entire country that can cut a camshaft. Ed gets his done at Lunati these days. Mine came from there as well. I would trust whatever Ed says. He's like a mad scientist. He seems crazy but his cams have always been proven to make good power.

Reactions: 1 user
Run it! For best results, makes sure it degree in per his spec or there's. My SR came in a Comp box. Mine has less exhaust lift then intake lift. There is a whole bunch more in the design then those numbers.

Scott

Run it! For best results, makes sure it degree in per his spec or there's. My SR came in a Comp box. Mine has less exhaust lift then intake lift. There is a whole bunch more in the design then those numbers.

Scott

I like the sound of that! Did Ed cut yours?

If Ed made the cam with those specs, I'm not going to second guess him. Call him up and ask if you have questions. That thing should wind up easy to 6500.

No doubt, not questioning him on the specs. I did email him and he sent me an electronic form of his cam card with he RPM range and valve adjustment recommendations.

Man, so many cam experts in here. Maybe some of you should start a business and give Ed a run for his money. :p

I am definitely no expert, and quiet honestly don't even begin to comprehend cams past advertised specs, but this cam doesn't seem huge to me. Why does everyone think it needs more RPM? I mean, its meant to go to 6500, so its no slouch, but anything higher I can't reliably utilize.

Joe