Fuel injector upgrade

fastangboi

My first set of nuts vibrated themselves off.
Jul 26, 2006
Slowville
is there a rule of thumb on upgrading the fuel injectors? Is their any power gain with an all bolt on car? when should i toss the 19#? ive heard there is not much to gain from a MAF swap on the modular unless your pushing serious numbers. any thoughts

• Sponsors (?)

my thought process was that im going to install a cam soon and im already running nitrous. And the old 5.0 cobras came with 24# injectors and im already putting out more power than one of those without spray. And i think either the 05-06 mustangs or the 04 mustangs came with like 20 or 22# injectors. they are pink instead of 19# orange.

I wonder if an injector upgrade will make my power more consistant and reliable?

fastangboi said:
i found that it takes 1/2# of fuel to support 1 hp. so a 19# injector can handle 38hp. x8=304hp
24# injectors can support 385hp

The actual formula is :
((Power x BSFC) x (1 + Safety Margin))/Number of Injectors = pounds/hour

BSFC for a NA car is usually between .48 and .50
BSFC for a forced induction car is usually between .65 and .68

Your formula only leaves a 10% safety margin

fastangboi said:
jstreet0204 said:
The actual formula is :
((Power x BSFC) x (1 + Safety Margin))/Number of Injectors = pounds/hour

what is (1+safety margin), and what does :bs: FC stand for?

Fine tuning a car isnt an exact science :rlaugh: JK

Safety Margin is just that. You want usually about a 20% safety margin.
Brake specific fuel consumption.

And tuning is much more of an exact science than you might think. Its all physics and chemistry. You can calculate HP accurately if you know the BSFC of a car.

A buddy of mine just put 42lbs injectors in his LS1 and has the 24lbs injectors just sitting at his house. Im pretty sure they will work but ill have to install them after i get either an Xcal2 or Diablo. i dont feel like spending money to replace a mass air that isnt saturated.

BTW what is the estimated saturation HP of a 2000 GT?

And to jstreet0204, i have no clue how much fuel my motor drinks @ WOT.

fastangboi said:
A buddy of mine just put 42lbs injectors in his LS1 and has the 24lbs injectors just sitting at his house. Im pretty sure they will work but ill have to install them after i get either an Xcal2 or Diablo. i dont feel like spending money to replace a mass air that isnt saturated.

BTW what is the estimated saturation HP of a 2000 GT?

And to jstreet0204, i have no clue how much fuel my motor drinks @ WOT.

BSFC for a NA car is usually between .45 and .50

What would happen if you put stock ls1 injectors on a non pi? I have a 96 and a guy I know gave me his stock injectors from a 2002 camaro ss. I looked them up and it said they were 28lb injectors. I have a Diablosport 4 bank that can be tuned but i can't get it tuned till maybe a month. Would it be safe to install the injectors now?

FordTOOL96 said:
What would happen if you put stock ls1 injectors on a non pi? I have a 96 and a guy I know gave me his stock injectors from a 2002 camaro ss. I looked them up and it said they were 28lb injectors. I have a Diablosport 4 bank that can be tuned but i can't get it tuned till maybe a month. Would it be safe to install the injectors now?

You can't change the injectors without a tune. The eec needs to know the size of the injectors to know how long to keep them open.

FordTOOL96 said:

You are correct. I just did some digging of my own and the 2001-02 LS1s run 28 lb injectors. 2000 runs 26#. i think the SCT Xcal2 lets you choose the injector size. im not sure if the Diablo has injector size options. i suppose you could mess with the fuel table and have it professionally done.