Fuel Fuel Issue

DannyB1122

15 Year Member
Sep 17, 2012
I've been chasing an intermittent issue for the better part of the last two months or so, and thanks to some reading here, I have the issue narrowed down to (I hope) one of possibly two things. Periodically, my 87 5.0 will sputter and die, and then not restart. It's seems to be fuel-related, as I have spark going to all of the plugs, the plugs/wires/cap are all new, as are the ignition coil, starter solenoid, and ignition module. The throttle body is clean, and I have the Throttle Position Sensor set to the proper voltage. The fuel filter and the fuel relay are relatively new (about a year), and the inertia switch is operating properly. So at this point, I'm thinking that it's either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. When I put a pressure gauge onto the Schrader Valve, I get about 32 PSI when the car is running, but when I disconnect the vacuum line on the regulator, the pressure jumps up to about 42 PSI. No fuel escapes when I pull the vacuum line, and there's no vacuum leak since I can feel it pull a vacuum on my finger when I cover the end of the line. Any thoughts and insight would be immensely appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The trick to finding the issue is to check things when the issue happends, most times it's tricky.
Sometimes these studder/stall issues are wiring/connector related, fuel pressure is good as long as it's consistent, I have suggested zip tie a pressure gauge to the wiper arm (or some other spot ) and monitor the fuel pressure when it acts up, if it cranks up and runs with the spout pulled it's likely the TFI, have you pulled codes?

The only code I get is 33 with the engine running. I get 11 with the engine off and no codes when I do the cylinder balance test. It will run with the spout connector plugged in.

I tried the spout plug the last time it did it, and it still wouldn’t start. When it happens, the engine tries to turn over, but doesn’t - it’s behaves like when you run out of gas and try to start the car, that’s why I was thinking it was fuel-related. There’s spark going to the plugs when you try to start, as well.

@General - with it having spark during the crank and no start wouldn't that indicate that the TFI is good?

@DannyB1122 - Code 33 is related to the EGR related so is the EGR still present or has that been deleted? Also, 32 psi of fuel pressure will idling is normal and if you remove and plug the vacuum line it should shoot up to 39-41 psi so you are good there.

Can you list any modifications the car has as that may help as well. Also, is the fuel pump stock or do you know? If you can get the fuel pressure gauge where you can see it when this happens that would help you see if you are loosing pressure during the event.

I replaced the TFI about a year ago with a Motorcraft replacement part, so I would assume that it’s good. EGR is still present, although I replaced it about two years ago with a non-Motorcraft part, so maybe I got burned on that? The car is stock, no mods. I assume that the pump is stock, and possibly the original, although I did find a crap ton of zip ties in the general area of the tank. I checked them and none of the hoses appear pinched by a tie that’s too tight.