Engine fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump?

Ok General, 5/16 it is. Thanks for that.

And yes Onefine, I have a GSS340 on order. 11 years ago when I ordered a Walbro 255L pump, the vendor on eBay sold me a high pressure pump that turned out to be a 307. At that time I did not know the difference, but after installing it I found out that it draws more amps and pumps less fuel under pressure, so I am happy to have to replace it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for everyone's help.

I received the new parts yesterday and installed them all.

I took the car for a rip today, and it feels excellent.

I have one question for those that have replaced a fuel pump before:

There is a red rubber cover that goes on the fuel return outlet on the pump hanger bracket, and appears to spread/smooth the fuel flow more evenly when the fuel returns back to the tank.

I am guessing that it would be to prevent aeration of the fuel as it sprays back into the tank?

When I assembled the new fuel pump and hanger bracket, I could not find the replacement in the kit I had. The old one was brittle and torn so I could not use that one.

I installed the pump bracket without this rubber outlet piece in the fuel tank.

Today, while sweeping up the garage, I found the new rubber piece under the work bench.

So, my question is how important is this seemingly insignificant item ? (I really don't want to have to R & R the tank again in this lifetime unless it is of the utmost, critical, importance)

I have included pics below of the rubber piece, and where it is installed on the pump hanger bracket.

Thanks,
Matt.

Attachments

• 2019-09-17_12-40-15_718.jpg
    2019-09-17_12-40-15_718.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2019-09-17_12-41-50_828.jpg
    2019-09-17_12-41-50_828.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 113
Wouldn't the fuel going through the pump keep the pump cool ?

Plus if the duckbill was bathing the pump in fuel, wouldn't the electrical connectors get sprayed too ?

The bottom 75% of the pump is below the fuel level.

Wouldn't the fuel going through the pump keep the pump cool ?

Plus if the duckbill was bathing the pump in fuel, wouldn't the electrical connectors get sprayed too ?

The bottom 75% of the pump is below the fuel level.
Another perspective....do you think the engineers would have wasted time putting it there for nothing? Just giving you something to think about.

1. Wouldn't the fuel going through the pump keep the pump cool ?
2. Plus if the duckbill was bathing the pump in fuel, wouldn't the electrical connectors get sprayed too ?
3. The bottom 75% of the pump is below the fuel level.
School's now in session.
1. No. Pressurizing the fuel generates heat.
2. That why you need to make good connections. The pump & electrical connections are usually submerged in fuel..
3. All depends on how much fuel is in the tank.

As long as the engine is running, the pump is continuously ON. All will run until the tank is just about dry. Get below 1/4 tank & the pump will get hot if no duckbill.

Be sure to report back if you have any fuel pump failures. As odd as it seems it would be that pump pictured in the link above looks like a knock off. It appears dull in the pic and the genuine walbros are shinny. Just curious how it works out for you.

Also, in my experiences fuel tanks cannot be salvaged without a significant amount of cleaning work that makes it almost not even worthwhile. I see you replaced the tank - very nice.

As per everyone's advice, I will be removing the tank again this weekend in order to install the duckbill on the return line.

Can someone confirm the orientation of the duckbill on the return line outlet?

Should be oriented the same way as the above picture of the old pump and hanger?

I have $600 invested in the new parts at this point, and I want to make sure I get everything correct this time!

Thanks for your help,
Matt.

The "duckbill" is a necessary piece. It's purpose is to spray fuel on the fuel pump to keep it cool when the level in the tank gets below it. Keep the tank full & you don't need it.
The "duckbill" also has a not so obvious purpose...
It acts as a one way check valve so if the car gets inverted in a collision, that fuel cannot flow backwards out the return line. That prevents it from feeding a fire if the return line has been severed or leaking.

See https://www.cla-val.com/rf-dbi-in-in-line-duckbill-check-valve-p-660.html for more information...

As per everyone's advice, I will be removing the tank again this weekend in order to install the duckbill on the return line.

Can someone confirm the orientation of the duckbill on the return line outlet?

Should be oriented the same way as the above picture of the old pump and hanger?

I have $600 invested in the new parts at this point, and I want to make sure I get everything correct this time!

Thanks for your help,
Matt.
Orient the same way as the above picture of the old pump and hanger

So, I dropped the tank for a second time this weekend.

I installed the duckbill piece on the return spout, all is good.

I decided to contact Summit as well as the pump hanger manufacturer, Spectra, and asked both of them what the purpose of the duckbill piece is for?

They both said that the duckbill is a valve that prevents fuel/vapours from flowing up the return line.

Neither one mentioned that it was for keeping the pump cool during low fuel situations.

So, I would say that jrichker is correct that it is a valve, to prevent fuel or vapours from entering the return line, and has nothing to do with keeping the pump cool.

When you actually look at the hanger bracket, the return line hangs below the level of the pump, and the duckbill sprays away from the pump.

sre-logo.png

Subject
I have a question regarding your intank gss340 fuel pump and the installation...
Response By Email (Winston) (09/24/2019 09:24 AM)
Hello Matt,
Thank you for the inquiry on your fuel pump.

The valve is important, it is a check valve.

The valve will be a dealer only item, at this time we do not have a manufacture building the part.

Thank you for your business,

Winston
Summit Racing Equipment
Customer By CSS Web () (09/21/2019 12:56 PM)
I have a question regarding your intank gss340 fuel pump and the installation.

On the pump hanger bracket I have (1991 Mustang), there is a rubber duckbill valve located on the return line into the tank.

Can you tell me if you know what purpose this valve serves?

I have been told that it sprays fuel onto the pump to cool it, I have also been told that it is just a valve to prevent liquid gasoline or vapours from migrating back through the return line.

I am just wondering if it is a critical item that needs to be replaced, as the original is ripped.

Thanks very much,
Matt.
RE: FG30A fuel pump hanger

Inboxx

profile_mask_2x.png

Spectra Technical question <[email protected]>
Mon, Sep 23, 7:55 AM (3 days ago)
to Spectra, me

Good day sir
It is a one way valve to keep anything to go back in the return port
If you have further question please call us on our tech line at 1-888-910-8888
Thank you